04 spec XS 90 replacement shocks and long range fuel tank

Hi,

I am new to LR4x4 forum and looking for some hands on practical advice from Land Rover owners.

I have an 04 spec (54reg) TD5 90 XS. My understanding is the vehicle is fitted as standard with LR HD suspension. The ride is starting to soften and I want to fit some uprated shocks and bushes. I do not want a suspension lift. I've done the usual, bought the mags, trawled the net etc but still none the wiser. Going on previous experiences with modifying vehicles I am drawn to the use of Bilstein shocks.

My question is this:

Do I go for Bilstein, Old man Emu or Pro-Comp

I will also be replacing all of the bushes with polyurethane ones. without starting a debate or upsetting anyone, what polyurethane bushes can any one suggest.

Thanks

landpc

On road I would lean towards Bilsteins. Had them on a RRC years back and they transformed the ride.

OME are excellent shocks too, not had personal experience of them.

Procomp are not really comparable to the other two - they are much more of a budget shock. They are good value for money but will be softer than the OME or Bilstein.

Have you considered just renewing the standard LR shocks? It may be they are just tired and a new set will restore the ride you enjoy?

Hi,

I have thought about it but with a little extra out lay the ride quality would be vastly improved.

The other area I forgot to mention was 'Long Range Fuel Tanks'.

A company called Safari-Equip market them, has any one fitted them or had them fitted

Thanks

landpc

depends what you want your motor to do!

Cant go far wring with bilstein shocks though. Wish i could afford a set to replace my procomps! And if you really want top quality stuff, then buy superpro poly bushes. From all accounts they are the dogs danglies of the poly-world.

I would replace the bushes with either GENUINE landrover metalastic ones or superpro polybushes and nothing else.

As for shocks i cant say much other than that i wouldn't use pro comps as they seem to be a fairly soft budget shock and not what you want from what i can gather.

Have you got under your motor to try and see if the springs still have their marking paint on? If they do you can find out the spring rates and work out whether a spring change would be benificial to you.

This website is very useful: clicky

Will.