Wheel arch mod

just so the info is out there really, new Puma plastic wheel arches will fit a 300tdi chassis, they come with sound proofing (which is a bit of a joke too though)

that's it really, a chance to get rid of those heavy galv things.

I'd be doing it the other way and binning the plastic ones to fit the metal ones and anyway they are not new with the Puma - my 2006 model 300Tdi has got them. Poxy stupid useless plastic things. Still at least the manifolds on my engine aren't made of plastic too...

Well I could put the galv ones on, however they stupidly heavy in comparison.

You can buy mine if you really want some?

I know they are the Puma ones as I just brought them.

Really though, what do we (land rover defender owners) gain by having metal wheel arches?

I assume that it is the strength issue right? Protect the engine I guess.

Well I will see how my plastic ones hold up driving on gravel roads with +/- 1 inch rocks bouncing off them on a regular basis, I suspect the answer will be not that well. I also think they will suffer from "plastic fatigue" and crack with the passage of time and rough roads.

My hydraulic valve block is also bolted through it because that's where it is designed to be installed, not that happy with either but have no option at the moment.

I could probably get some here it's just the PITA of changing them!

just so the info is out there really, new Puma plastic wheel arches will fit a 300tdi chassis, they come with sound proofing (which is a bit of a joke too though)

that's it really, a chance to get rid of those heavy galv things.

Do you think they'd fit a 200Tdi too? How much were they?

I prefer the galvanised version too, [as on my '89 110CSW] gives a location to attach things to, like my air cleaner bracket & winch solenoid pack, try doing that on a plastic arch.

I did attach my which solonoid to the plastic wheel arch on the Puma, however I made up some kind of metal bracket for it.

With these stupid plastic things, I like the fact that they are easily bendable.

Still could attached the galv ones I have from the 1989 110 that was the dona vehicle for my build, gonna see how easy each they are to fit in comparison.