Injector lock down plates

Rolly

Was putting the injectors back in last night, happily torquing away up to the recommended 25ft/lb on the injector locking plates when one of the studs snapped off :rolleyes:

The heads coming off anyway for repair but these studs wouldn't be a permenant part of the head would they?

They look like they are pressed through from the inside (at least I'm hoping they are).

I'm thinking of taking a vow of mechanical chastity to appease the landrover gods and never lifting a spanner in anger again.

I would have thought they were threaded into the head but I don't know for sure :unsure: they aren't mentioned even in the head overhaul section of the 300Tdi engine overhaul manual.

The studs will be steel and the head is alloy so they certainly aren't "as one" with the head - they are fitted in somehow whether it is threaded into the alloy, helicoiled or pressed through from the inside. Manifold studs are just threaded in, I know that to my cost having pulled one out on a gasket change.

Whether you can buy replacement studs may be another matter... but it is probably just a metric threaded stud so you may find an ordinary M8 stud or whatever thread it is, will do the trick.

Maybe bung an email to Turner Engineering and ask them if nobody comes up with an answer on here?

The studs are actually alloy, bizarre I know. It's something you'd expect from a russian automotive engineer in the 1950's.

"Yes, we will make this from aluminium, we will dazzle those capitalist americans with our technical ingenuity"

The studs are actually alloy, bizarre I know. It's something you'd expect from a russian automotive engineer in the 1950's.

"Yes, we will make this from aluminium, we will dazzle those capitalist americans with our technical ingenuity"

Alloy studs :o Amazing!

I'm thinking of taking a vow of mechanical chastity to appease the landrover gods

I can't quite remember now, but I think that I must have taken a vow of poverty when I bought my Land Rover... :D

Studs are steel, with a M8 thread, and screw in to a hole in the head. They are readily available from most decent LR parts places or cut a length of M8 threaded rod (or a bolt) to suit.

Someone must have wound it up a bit tight at some stage for it to have snapped.

Studs are steel, with a M8 thread, and screw in to a hole in the head. They are readily available from most decent LR parts places or cut a length of M8 threaded rod (or a bolt) to suit.

Someone must have wound it up a bit tight at some stage for it to have snapped.

Your right, it is steel. Must have been all those bourbons had me seeing things again.

It's fixable so I'm happy :)

Alloy studs :o Amazing!

I can't quite remember now, but I think that I must have taken a vow of poverty when I bought my Land Rover... :D

Vow of poverty? You've got that right. I've spent more on this thing than what it's literally worth.

I don't think we're the only ones either :lol:

Was putting the injectors back in last night, happily torquing away up to the recommended 25ft/lb on the injector locking plates when one of the studs snapped off :rolleyes:

The heads coming off anyway for repair but these studs wouldn't be a permenant part of the head would they?

They look like they are pressed through from the inside (at least I'm hoping they are).

I'm thinking of taking a vow of mechanical chastity to appease the landrover gods and never lifting a spanner in anger again.

I thought the torque setting was 25Nm not 25 ftlbs