Anyone know anything about locks

I am after a type of padlock that i can use to make a device that will disable both my clutch and brake pedals simultaneously.

The padlock i am after is quite specific, in that when it is opened, BOTH sides of the shackle can be removed from the body, rather than just one side swinging round.

What i have in mind, is welding the shackle on to a large box section with the "U" shape going on either side of my brake pedal and the body being pushed on over that. The box section is the exact size to just squeeze in back there, and is long enough to cover both pedals at the same time - thus stopping both from being depressed.

It wont be 100% secure, as nothing is these days, but it will at least slow any potential robbing b.stards misguided youths down a very long time......it certainly cant do any harm having extra precautions in place.

Just need to locate this damn padlock now.

Martin

I suppose that would do, however the one I have in mind is more like THIS ONE on the same website.

This is not my design, but one that my garage has actually already knocked up for his own personal vehicle....he just cant remember where he got the lock from! Its a really heavy duty bit of kit, but all the writing on the lock has faded off making it harder to identify.

I used to have a pedal lock that was shaped like a steel box. The box was in two overlapping halves with cut outs for the pedals. The box was slipped over the brake and clutch and then the top slammed shut with a captive lock barrel that was inaccessible except by feel. It was very effective at completely enclosing the pedals.

I also made a locking bar for the pedals on my S3. The gear stick snapped off one day so I made a new removable one. Removing it was one stage of the security, locking it behind the pedals was the second stage. The gear stick was secured to a socket adjacent to the accelerator and locked behind a steel plate next to the clutch. I made the gearstic out of 20mm pipe with a loose hardened steel rod inside.

The transfer box lever was also locked in neutral.

What I want, and what my garage already made, works on the exact same principle as the Clutch Claw, but is less bulky.

I am obviously aware of the existence of Clutch Claw, but I could not for the life of me find anywhere that sells them online, otherwise I probably would have ordered one already, although I reckon they will be lots of £££'s.

As it is, I get something that is as effective as a clutch claw, but at a fraction of the cost.

Martin

If I am understanding your question correctly you are looking for a padlock that the shackle comes out of both sides.

Is it something like this?

A bit of googling for UK sites came up with this site

Look down to Mul-T-Lock C10 Padlocks Mul-T-Lock C10 Padlocks or C13.

Bit spendy for a padlock tho'

HTH

Martin

If I am understanding your question correctly you are looking for a padlock that the shackle comes out of both sides

Yep.

I found the website you linked to after changing the search filters just after posting this thread. A bit more research revealed the lock mentioned above (Master Lock 6127) which is the one I thought I needed.

I phoned my garage today and confirmed that the sizes on the Master Lock website are actually the same as those used on the lock they have on their security device.

I have just this second ordered one from the link above.

Martin

Well that was a waste of my time and money :angry:

After all the research I did, and to all intents & purposes, ordering the correct padlock for my needs.....it turns out the bloody thing is the wrong one!

It is NOT a removable shackled lock that I ordered, but a regular one, albeit very heavy duty.

Ordered myself a genuine Clutch Claw today to save anymore faffing....pleasantly surprised at a cost of £94 delivered. :)

Now then, what to do with a heavy duty £33 padlock........

I am trying to locate a suitable hasp to use on the rear door, and hopefully I can use this padlock back there.

In one of the magazines last month (i think) there was a bit near the end of the mag where a set of hasps were fitted to one of the writers G4 Defender. They were fitted at Footloose 4x4, but I would like to try and find the same hasps myself online and see if this lock will fit in there.

Any idea where I can get such a hasp?

I dont want to order one from Footloose, as I know that Paul carries little, if any stock on site, and orders most bits in per customer. I would rather search for the best price online than pay someone elses price to source something for me.

Edited to add: Its THIS months LRO, on page 140.