automatic gearbox problem

bimotaman

hi there

im new to this forum and looking for some help on a gearbox problem on my 3.5efi 86 rangie.

i recently changed the box in my rangie due to the last one failing.

i changed it with a unit from a 89 3.9efi complete with torque converter. i drove the doner vehicle home so i knew there were no problems with it. i carefully removed the box and changed the transfer box with one of a defender to lower the ratio for bigger wheels. however on removal i snaped the kickdown cable.

on fitting the box into the new car i took care to make sure the torque converter was correctly fitted and added a larger oilcooler due to fitting a winch in place of the original.

anyway, back to the problem.

i started the car checked fluid levels and went for a test drive, the car selects first,reverse and drive correctly however when in drive the car will not change gear and stays in first.

could this be because the kickdown cable is not connected?

any help or advise would be appreciated, thanks phill

Ive got a very similar issue with my auto box, i went to a play day yesterday and went through some water, on the way home it started to leak fluid, then i stopped for a few minutes and it developed a leak from the bell housing, then wouldn't change out of first, then to top it off i lost reverse !! . Left it overnight, thoroughly jetwashed every inch of the vehicle, took it out for another drive, it would't change out of first gear for roughly a mile, then all was fine, but leak still persists.

Sorry bimotaman but i can't help you as i haven't found a cure to mine yet, will post if i do manage to get it to work through the gears from cold.

Dan.

Driving the box without a kick down cable is a bad idea and will cause all sorts of problems. It's used for more than just kick down and I'd be concerned about the damage you may have done inside the box when you snapped the cable. When you replace the cable you'll be able to check the internal mechanism for any obvious signs of damage.

In case it helps, they are also fussy about fluid levels. I know you say you checked it (they must be idling in neutral from memory) but where things have been moved around it may have bled some air through the system now and dropped a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
Ive got a very similar issue with my auto box, i went to a play day yesterday and went through some water, on the way home it started to leak fluid, then i stopped for a few minutes and it developed a leak from the bell housing, then wouldn't change out of first, then to top it off i lost reverse !! . Left it overnight, thoroughly jetwashed every inch of the vehicle, took it out for another drive, it would't change out of first gear for roughly a mile, then all was fine, but leak still persists.

Sorry bimotaman but i can't help you as i haven't found a cure to mine yet, will post if i do manage to get it to work through the gears from cold.

Dan.

Sorry for the delay in posting a response....... I wasn't able to get my registration confirmed...

First thing is that water will destroy the linings on the friction plates and unless you have the Kevlar bands the bands as well :(

This broken down material will cause a sludge that blocks the valve body, fluid lines and filter leading to mass destruction internally.....

Look for Pink fluid, if it's pink then a strip down is required