Suspension

Hi All,

Need to replace the shocks on my 1996 defender 90.

Want to stick with the standard ride height.

As ever it needs to be on a budget!

Whilst i am at it, would it be best to replace the springs as well?

What are the merits of standard and heavy duty? I use it for work as a joiner but never carry anything overly heavy or do i tow much with it!

Did notice recently that with all my tools in the back it does sag a fair bit, could this be due to the age of the springs??

Any reports on Armstrong shock absorbers?

Anyway advice and opinions welcome, names of good suppliers etc.

Cheers ;)

If the back is sagging you could replace the springs. I'd price up standard genuine parts - they are a lot better than many after market bits and not always a lot of money.

^^^^ What he said.

LR spent a lot of time and money developing the suspension so if you are not doing anything radical with your truck then stick with LR gear.

Having said that, you could consider gas pressurised shocks for improved on road characteristics.

Thanks for your suggestions so far, I have searched the forum for similar post/treads but there didn't seem to be anything specific!

Having spent considerable time and money stripping and rebuilding many suspension parts on my 300, including a full set of super pro bushes.

i don't want to throw all this hard work down the drain by fitting inferior springs and shocks, hence why i asked for advice.

I saw this set on eBay and wonder what your thoughts are? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=350165131330. Buy cheap, buy twice???

Cheers :rolleyes:

if you dont carry heavy loads and dont want a lift - go buy genuine 90 springs.

they are not as expensive as you might think and will give a decent ride quality! In fact the springs i run on my 90 (disco millitary and police spec rangy) are from my local stealership and were less cash than ome, procomp and scrapiron springs. They`ve been on my truck 3 years now and get abused regularly. So far they havent sagged, more than can be said of the cheap knockoff copies of the police spec springs i bought from craddocks for £8 each a few years ago!!!! They lasted less than a year before my 2" lift became the 'low rider look' :lol:

Armstrong shocks are ok i suppose. Nothing to write home about though. Britpart and armstrong shock are £10 each. Hopefully this will tell you something.... Personally i would be tempted to spend my money on some standard length bilsteins and skimp elsewhere if funds are tight. As i think most will agree bilsteins are absolutely superb, just wish i spent my money on them originally! But they are a bit pricey at £50 each. Supposedly the terrafirma shocks are good for the money at £30 each. Might be worth finding out from the stealership how much genuine shocks cost and basing that price for some aftermarket gas shocks. I bet you can get gen springs and half decent gas shocks for less than £200 all in.