Brake puzzler

My brakes work fantastically for about 2 or 3 times while I am manoevering out of the drive (i.e. press brake pedal and almost hit the windscreen good) and after this it takes a heck of a lot of pedal power to get the thing to stop in a sensible distance.

As a background, calipers are refurbed, new cylinders on rear drums, new copper pipes and recently changed the master cylinder with a new O ring as I thought this was the only thing left, but no change (if anything slightly worse).

My thoughts were servo, but I have tested it by pumping pedal until hard and then starting engine. Pedal drops 1" as specified.

It is not losing fluid, I think :unsure: I have bled them OK ('cos it is similar symptom before and after m/c changed which involved a re-bleed).

Did a search and there was a post with a similar problem, but unfortunately without the resolution.

Anyone got any ideas? It just seems strange they work fantastically for a few pushes then go bad.

What engine?

300Tdis have a habit of splitting the servo unit (check the can, close to the top of the two mounting bolts) this loses vacuum and gets progressively worse and you will find the emergency braking effort is way down as well, it happens to all of them even my 06 has already had a new servo! Need to get a new one, don't bother with genuine get an OEM version which is Lucas.

Done some more checking.

- Servo is not split by the mounting bolts.

- Thought the suction hose could be closing under higher revs. This is OK.

The initial stopping OK could be a red herring - due to low speed.

As the vehicle does not get used much, maybe the pads need bedding in? Can they go off?

Done some more checking.

- Servo is not split by the mounting bolts.

- Thought the suction hose could be closing under higher revs. This is OK.

The initial stopping OK could be a red herring - due to low speed.

As the vehicle does not get used much, maybe the pads need bedding in? Can they go off?

You say the vehicle is not used very much. It could be a light coating of rust on the discs that

gives you extra friction until it has been polished off by the first few brake applications. This fits

with the symptoms you describe.

Had the same problem in my 90 But that was a 300 TDi . Was pretty bad in traffic. Would work great first couple of times and then not work .

On the 300 TDi it was the Vacum pump. Can't remeber what they have on the V8 that does the same thing . But i found this out after replacing the servo, master cylinder :rolleyes:

have a look at your wheel bearings as mine sometimes does this-what happens is-as the wheel rotates and is "off balance" so to speak this makes the brake disk(as it wobbles) push the brake pads/calliper pistons outwards when the wheel bearings are loose as the wheel rotates, the only way i can get a decent pedal is to pump the pedal to make the pistons go back to how it should be, as soon as it starts i know i have to adjust the damn things

And before anyone says anything if i find it's started doing this i rectify it toot sweet as not to do so would be daft and dangerous to not only me but everyone else on the roads too :D

I am just going to fit hydroboost and be done with it (and get all that open space back where the booster was), messing around with vaccume boosters is just a nightmare and the double-diaphragm booster does not fit.