Guess the gearbox

Guest richardthegardener

Guest richardthegardener

In my quest to find a decent replacement transfer box, I managed to collect several ebay bargins. Amongst these is a defender LT77 with defender ratio transfer box, defender gear levers, defender spedo cable etc. But, it has a 300mm input shaft and bellhousing, with the clutch slave cylinder on the oposite side to the normal defender position. Any ideas what it fits, I was told it came out of a defender, possibly a 300tdi? (in case you are wondering I baught it for the transfer box) The gearbox is definately not a disco box.

Thanks in advance!

Richard

is that not a 200 tdi disco one you've got yourself there with a input shaft that long a normal defender one is'nt that long is it-then again i'm sure an adult will be along sometime to day to either correct me or even agree with me

Can you work out the gear gate layout?

R-1-3-5 to front and 2-4 to the rear would be LT77 - 200Tdi / V8

1-3-5 to the front and 2-4-R to the rear would be R380 - 300Tdi / V8

What is the diameter of the reduced section on the end of the input shaft? IIRC, ~3/4" (can measure later) would be a 4-cylinder application (Tdi), would have to pull a V8 box out from under the bench to measure that.

Again, pic's and serial no would be definitive.

Guest richardthegardener

Thanks Dave,

R,1,3,5 are to the front, so it looks like a LT77 after all! Serial number of the box is 52A0098665D and the gearbox extension is numbered HRC1217. Transfer box ratio is 1:410

Thanks

Richard

post-17398-1248644399_thumb.jpgpost-17398-1248644468_thumb.jpg

Its a Diesel input shaft (22mm spigot), with a long diesel bellhousing (ie 300tdi or disco). V8 Spigot is smaller, and the bolt pattern on the housing isnt circular like that.

Very strange.

D suffix would suggest a very early LT77 (they started on D), and 52A is longstick (ie defender) from the factory.