Charge warning light

Hi all.

Searched till exhausted list and I couldn't find anything so here goes.

Since my 12 to 24V swap I have had a problem with my charge warning light. I'm thinking I have blown the resistor that works along side the warning light as my light only dims with higher revs. The alternator will self excite and it does until I put lights on- well, the light comes back on as soon as there is any drain on the electrics. Can I replace with a 24V resistor and if so where would I get one from? I have heard that some just bypass with some wire bared at each end but why is the resistor there if you can just bypass it?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers, Paul.

The light showing means you have a bad rectifier.

Is that inside the alternator itself? I have tried a direct current to the alt and it seemed to charge Ok? I have looked at the workshop manual and there looks like a circuit that runs with the light, and I just guessed that if it failed it took the route via the light switching it on. If its inside the alternator I'l have to get my mate to look as Its a hitachi and I don't have any manual for it so not sure what I'm looking for. Thanks again!

which engine are we talking about as the wiring diagram can appear here

Its a Nissan FD35t. You probably won't find much info on it though!

I wired it in using my existing 2.5 petrol loom and just connected everything to its equivalent on the engine.

How has the 12 - 24 voltage change been made?

By just changing everything on the vehicle to a 24V version, i.e. bulbs, relays, motors etc.

Are you feeding the new 24v alternator with 24v through a 24v charge warning lamp?

Yes, 24V alternator fed with a 24V supply through the existing charge warning light circuit that has a 24v/1.2W bulb in place. Could the bulb wattage make any difference?

Thanks for the replies so far!

I wired it in using my existing 2.5 petrol loom and just connected everything to its equivalent on the engine.

within the loom is a resistor that connects each side of the charge warning light it connects they brown/yellow wire from the Alt WL terminal to the White wire that goes to the charge light, you can see it on this diagram for 4 cylinder petrol vehicles item 62 in the upper right of diagram.

post-20-1248618219_thumb.jpg

Thanks western.

Yes that is the resistor I mentioned in the first post.

So would that have possibly blown? Being from a 12V system and having 24V put through it?

I don't know if I need to get a 24V one or not.

Thanks again.

Paul

without removing it from the loom I can't say what amps/ohms it is rated at.

possibly you've poopped the 12v one by feeding 24v through it. I don't know if the 24v loom has one fitted, only because I've never stripped a 24v vehicle to find out.

without removing it from the loom I can't say what amps/ohms it is rated at.

possibly you've poopped the 12v one by feeding 24v through it. I don't know if the 24v loom has one fitted, only because I've never stripped a 24v vehicle to find out.

I'd go with that (if its fitted) 'cos power is volts squared / resistance - you've probably fried it (by getting it to dissipate four times the power). To get the same current drop you need a resistor double the normal value (since amps = volts / resistance) and twice the power rating.

Anyone know the right value for a 12V system?

There could be a toasty bit of loom somewhere ...

Well I'm thinking the best thing to do is try and remove the suspect resistor and as advised get my mate at work to point me in the right direction.

Thanks all for the help anyways!

Cheers, Paul

Paul,

If you do find a resistor and work out any details for it (resistance value in particular, location, etc.) please post the info., as this question crops up now and again :)