Rear door lock

Well my rear door lock seems like it's died.

I can't lock it now.

I think the door and catch are still adjusted as they should be ....

I've cleaned most of the sand out and lubricated it.

Now I can move the key a fraction and the key goes solid.

Are they repairable???

I eat rat poison

mike

I cab cause troiuble in an empty house !!!

The lock barrel is replaceable, with the whole lock assebly off the door you should see a small pin, insert the key & depress the pin & withdraw the lock barrel as in the picture below :D

File0118a.jpg

Barrel not a problem. :lol:

The lock it'self is.... :wub:

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

New lock time then as the casing is rivetted/swagged together :wacko::rolleyes:

part number is MUC1030 upto VIN 314267

---------------or 395037 from VIN 314268

:D

So what's the chances of me getting it to work again if I drill the rivets out and replace with c/s screws????? :D

none ???...........

So what's the chances of me getting it to work again if I drill the rivets out and replace with c/s screws????? :D

none ???...........

MMM :rolleyes::unsure: have a go, I can send you some c/s duraliminium rivets [lots at work :ph34r: ] of various diameter's/lengths if you need some :D

Hope that sorts it for you, Mike. Mine refuses to lock from outside despite the new barrel so I just carry a hitting stick in the cab.

On a related note, has anyone managed to fit central-locking to a rear door lock? I'm not too fussed about remote-locking, just a button on the dash would be a boon.

Thanks everybody.

I'll wait until it's dry and I have a camera.Then I'll hqave a go.

I'll let you into how if I'm successful.

Ralph.I'll use c/s screws to rebuild it.That way it'll come apart again if needed.

Turbocharger.

I keep thinking of an electronic lock.Ideas anybody?

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

Well it's done.

All that southern African sand removed.

All the sand filled grease removed and cleaned up.

Four new screws fitted and it works.

One thing.....

The bit the actually makes the lock lock.Where is that hairpin spring supposed to locate.

Ralph.

You don't have a picture of the other side of the lock that you can post please??

I eat rat poison

mike

• 4 weeks later...

Just bringing up this thread again, as my rear door lock seem to be broken now. It wont lock due to the latch not staying at the top when the door is locked, and so by lifting te handle the door opens as the small catch falls down, i think it is just something inside the latch or a small spring on the small latch is meant to be attached to has come off preventing the door from staying lock either with key or from inside.

Mike what screws did you use to reassemble the lock with?? As they need to be flush on the side which is up against the door. And how easy is it to drill out the metal bits which hold the lock together.

Cheers

Jon

Just bringing up this thread again, as my rear door lock seem to be broken now. It wont lock due to the latch not staying at the top when the door is locked, and so by lifting te handle the door opens as the small catch falls down, i think it is just something inside the latch or a small spring on the small latch is meant to be attached to has come off preventing the door from staying lock either with key or from inside.

Mike what screws did you use to reassemble the lock with?? As they need to be flush on the side which is up against the door. And how easy is it to drill out the metal bits which hold the lock together.

Cheers

Jon

I've forgotten which size screws.

Either 5mm or 6mm countersunk.

5mm I would suspect as I don't think I keep 6mm countersnk in my stock.

HTH

I eat rat poison

mike

Right i decided it new lock time as i haven't got the time to fiddle with it at the moment and they seem cheap from paddocks. Do i need 395037 which is £19.95 or do i need STC2871 for £ 42.50. I thought they were all the same so i presume the cheaper one will fit??

Western you gave the part number MUC1030 upto VIN 314267

---------------or 395037 from VIN 314268

Which is mine likely to be 1991 defender I have the chassis number begining SA where is the VIN number??

Cheers

Jon

• 2 years later...