mounting a radio in an old defender

been off roading allot lately and always seem to find it more fun with the CB in 1 ear on full volume and lots of music in the other :) how ever they keep bouncing about and in the end they break and thats another 70 quid down the pan.

was wondering if anyone knows what i can get so that it doesn't bounce around quite so much. A friend has said that i can get roof mounted radios but can not seem to find them on the internet.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Ben

just screw the CB 'U' shaped mounting bracket to the underside of the dash, screws of no more than 1 inch [25mm] long are more than adequete.

or

with a stiffener plate on the roof side of the headliner bolt the bracket through the headliner/stiffener plate into the roof internal rib & then hang the CB from it.wires will have to be routed across top of screen,down door pillar into battery box.

That's where I have my VHF set - screwed to the underside the dash immediately in front of the handbrake lever - works well. This is a pic of it in my last 90 but got it in the same place in the 110. Only a problem if you either have a/c or a Puma.

post-33-1248558573_thumb.jpg

with a stiffener plate on the roof side of the headliner bolt the bracket through the headliner/stiffener plate into the roof internal rib & then hang the CB from it.wires will have to be routed across top of screen,down door pillar into battery box.

ok thanks, will give that a shot and hope i dont have to spend more of my hard earned money :)

'BogMonster'

That's where I have my VHF set - screwed to the underside the dash immediately in front of the handbrake lever - works well. This is a pic of it in my last 90 but got it in the same place in the 110. Only a problem if you either have a/c or a Puma.

cheers, ended up putting in on the front of the cubby box not the best place in the world but it suits me fine so far.

just wondering if you bought that center panal in the dash seperatly or if it came with your truck? i need to use up that space at the moment just hundreds of wires that i dont even no what they do and lots of switches i want to put in to a panel like that.

do you know where to get hold of them?

cheers

Yes as Ralph said - standard factory fit dash in all 2002-2006 model year Defenders.

lol shame mine isnt quite close to 2002, its actualy 1988. ill have to have a look on ebay etc. thanks for your help!

came with his ROW 300Tdi 110 factory fitted. last of the 300tdi vehicles & it has Td5 electrics/instruments.

Mudstuff or Iron Goat do a similar fit it yourself panel.

cheers, not cheap are they lol, bit of saving i feel.

thanks.