Rear Spings

Hi,

A spring question. Just refitted my OME HD rear springs to the 130 but now the vehicle is a bit high at the back. In a previous life with Quateq body those springs were fine but with the station wagon body they are to strong and raising the vehicle a bit to much. I fitted them in stead of the yellow Britpart HD ones as those were getting a bit to weak. Question, which springs will fit in between these two. So not the full strength of the OME and not the weakness of the BP HD ones. I know there is some kind of coil spring chart on the web but can not find it. Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Marco

post-2702-1248715827_thumb.jpg

post-2702-1248715847_thumb.jpg

We need to know what the OME spring is that is too tall / strong.

Do you have a part number? Also, what is the spring seat to spring seat distance with the OME springs fitted?

What is the uncompressed length of the OME spring?

Once we have that info we can hopefully help :)

Thanks

Do not know the number anymore but think the OME +400kg rate ones...

If I measure the distance I do get 40cm between bottom of lower spring seat and top of the top one (chassis bracket)

Cheers

Marco

http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html#OME is the spring link you mention above

your OME's sound like the 754's you could swap to the 755

Thanks Western,

.... searched the other forum, checking my own posts!: http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.p...86329#msg186329

so yes, 754 confirmed!

Which +/- slightly cheaper alternatives are available besides the OME 755?

Cheers

Marco

You need to find an alternative to a 17" spring with a spring rate of 420lb/in.

From your measurements, your spring is carrying approx 500kg which doesn't seem much for a 130, but with such a high rate the value is very sensitive to the measurement you took.

Anyhow, options are limited for 110 or 130 rears but what about NRC6904 and NRC6389? I reckon that would loose you a bit under 3".

Don't know if that is too much?

Your best bet is to do some calcs in excel based on the spring info in the tech archive.

You need to find an alternative to a 17" spring with a spring rate of 420lb/in.

From your measurements, your spring is carrying approx 500kg which doesn't seem much for a 130, but with such a high rate the value is very sensitive to the measurement you took.

Anyhow, options are limited for 110 or 130 rears but what about NRC6904 and NRC6389? I reckon that would loose you a bit under 3".

Don't know if that is too much?

Your best bet is to do some calcs in excel based on the spring info in the tech archive.

Not a 130 but a 110 Defender SW.

I run those springs on the rear of mine...I added the helper springs some time ago. They lifted the back by three inches. :o

mike

Not a 130 but a 110 Defender SW.

I run those springs on the rear of mine...I added the helper springs some time ago. They lifted the back by three inches. :o

mike

I do have a 130 SW...

NRC6904 and NRC6389 are to weak, the look fine when fitted but after a while not strong enough for the contstant load (started off with those). On the first image you can see the vehicle on Britpart HD springs, not sure about how they relate to the LR HD ones but would expect the same rating.

OME 755 might be a good alternative, but GBP 74.75 per spring is a lot of cash...

Cheers

Marco

I take it you do have the helper springs fitted

mike

At this stage just only the OME 754 springs. It might be an option to fit helper springs together with the HD Britpart ones but prefer to fir a basic single spring. I do not have the helper ones so will need to buy them if I decide to go that way.

OME 755 sounds like the right choice but because of the price bit of an expensive gamble.

I've been comparing some choices...

- Britpart DA4208 435mm and 420lbs/inch (the same rating as the OME 754) +/- GBP 60.00/pair

- OME 755 435mm and 300lbs/inch (same height but lower rating than BP DA4208) but probably a much better product +/- GBP 150.00/pair

Question, why is OME so expensive... because the are imported? Looking at the 754's fitted right now they probably last much longer and do not sag like BP's will do... guess that's my answer.

Cheers

Marco