Wire spec for loom building

I'm looking at using this new thin wall cable to build the sections of wiring loom that i havent got (mainly because its available in all the standard land rover colours).

The loom sections being: loom to rear of vehicle, gearbox wiring and headlight wiring. The main loom being a '98 300tdi item.

Auto Electric Supplies

Anyone have an idea on which amp rating would be most suitable for building these looms (to a standard specification). I was thinking 010702 would do for must applications, and 010703 for heavier applications?

I'm looking at using this new thin wall cable to build the sections of wiring loom that i havent got (mainly because its available in all the standard land rover colours).

Anyone have an idea on which amp rating would be most suitable for building these looms (to a standard specification). I was thinking 010702 would do for must applications, and 010703 for heavier applications?

Have a look here, recommended quality kit. How do their prices compare?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...le/thinwall.php

Have a look here, recommended quality kit. How do their prices compare?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...le/thinwall.php

Yeah have used them before, very good and would them this time too except they don't have some of the colour combinations i require. <_<

Without reading the links ('cos I'm lazy) a general rule is work out how many amps you think you'll be drawing, add ~25% and round up to the nearest wiring size.

Ok, time for some calcs then! :)

Hi Foggy,

Having had a little experience doing this sort of stuff to get looms to fit in a number of vehicles I've built, most recently the Ibex, I would strongly recommend starting with a donor loom. In the case of Land Rovers there are stacks of Landys in scrappers with rear looms and all the connectors - If you're lucky the engine and box is out and its relatively easy to remove the most difficult bit being feeding the connectors out the chassis having pulled the loom through. It shouldn't take more than an hour to do and is significantly easier than pulling up the wiring diagrams working out what you need sourcing connectors for the bulkhead connection - which I failed to find and knitting it all together. From memory I paid £25 quid for a 110 loom. I doubt you'll get close by the time you've bought everything and made it up.

My humble opinion for what its worth.

Rob

Hi Foggy,

Having had a little experience doing this sort of stuff to get looms to fit in a number of vehicles I've built, most recently the Ibex, I would strongly recommend starting with a donor loom. In the case of Land Rovers there are stacks of Landys in scrappers with rear looms and all the connectors - If you're lucky the engine and box is out and its relatively easy to remove the most difficult bit being feeding the connectors out the chassis having pulled the loom through. It shouldn't take more than an hour to do and is significantly easier than pulling up the wiring diagrams working out what you need sourcing connectors for the bulkhead connection - which I failed to find and knitting it all together. From memory I paid £25 quid for a 110 loom. I doubt you'll get close by the time you've bought everything and made it up.

My humble opinion for what its worth.

Rob

Cheers Rob.

I've already got a defender 300tdi main bulkhead loom, i'm just missing the rear loom (though i have the bulkhead-end connectors and the first foot of wiring so know colours, just need to attach new wires), gearbox loom (only a couple of wires there tho') and the engine loom.

The engine loom could be tricky to build given the fancy connector it requires, might have to try ebay for that....or autosparks if its not too expensive!? :unsure:

Hi Foggy,

Would still recommend visiting the scrappy for the rear loom you'll soon spend £40+ buying all the different coloured cores loom tape and the split conduit and spend a weekend making up the loom and crimping on connectors! The rear looms are invariably still in the vehicle and they didn't charge me a fraction of what it would cost to prepare.

WRT the engine loom this incorporates what you term the g/box loom - reverse, diff lock and handbrake. I got mine on the forum from forkrent fitter always seems to have a few bits sculling around - problem is they are always bundled up with the engine for conversions so can't be aquired from scrappers. Conversations with LR always seem to be unrewarding when discussing wiring loom components.

Rob