What is the

siggy

Life expectancy of a 300tdi?

Many thanks

I don't really know the answer to that??

With correct and regular service I would expect them to go to a nice high mileage.

My 1996 300Tdi Ex BT has 166,000 miles on the clock which I understand is a low mileage compared to some !!

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house

Had a conversion with somebody at work who stated they don't last more than 150,000

and that mine at 137,000 is knackered (it's not) I think he wanted to knock down my asking price of 9,750 for a R reg 110CSW

Guest diesel_jim

He sounds like a prize pr!ck! my old 300 110 had 122,000 when i sold it, and it was as sweet as a nut.

the current 300 engine in my 90 has been in 3 vehicle since i had it! it had about 100k on it when i got it, and i'd guesstimate that i've doubled that now, and it still purrs along... (well, as purringly as a Tdi gets! ;) )

I'd reckon a turbo every 150,000 miles and you could get see 400,000+ with proper servicing. The engine's more likely to die of some catastrophic ancillary failure like an oil hose popping off somewhen, and that's not really mileage related. I'd be happy to see 200k out of mine with the abuse I give it, irregular oil changes and accidental oil contaminations etc.

it still purrs along... (well, as purringly as a Tdi gets! ;) )

kind of "purring" like a lion gargling gravel then.... :D

Many 300s here seem to be pretty well worn by 100,000 but there are a lot more short runs, hills, blah blah. Regular maintenance is far more important than mileage, I have seen a regularly maintained engine with 80k on that still had the hone marks in the bores. As Turbot mentioned, the most common cause of failure is something else, I would say coolant loss and terminal overheating has been the most common I have seen. One of ours at work was seized up by some muppet a couple of weeks ago, as simple as the oil cooler union coming loose, lost all oil, bang. The basic engine architecture is pretty solid and given fresh oil every so often, and a good connection between the seat and the steering wheel, usually lasts very well.

kind of "purring" like a lion gargling gravel then.... :D

Many 300s here seem to be pretty well worn by 100,000 but there are a lot more short runs, hills, blah blah. Regular maintenance is far more important than mileage, I have seen a regularly maintained engine with 80k on that still had the hone marks in the bores. As Turbot mentioned, the most common cause of failure is something else, I would say coolant loss and terminal overheating has been the most common I have seen. One of ours at work was seized up by some muppet a couple of weeks ago, as simple as the oil cooler union coming loose, lost all oil, bang. The basic engine architecture is pretty solid and given fresh oil every so often, and a good connection between the seat and the steering wheel, usually lasts very well.

Mine still had the hone marks at 100k. I reckon if/when I rebuild my 300tdi it'll have at least annother 150k in it :) I've drive a few 300s and they seem to get really sweet above about 70k and stay that way if you look after them. I think what everyone's said about ancillaries is right, its going to be something small that lets go and dumps all the oil or coolent. If you keep an eye on hoses and leaks and the engine should eaily do 250k. Depending on use, though, you'll have to do a head gasket every 100k - 150k and a turbo every 150k - 200k.

To be honest it is a bit of an open question.

Yes, they can last for 300,000 miles plus but a lot depends on how they are looked after. Don't bother to service them, run them low on water and get them hot and you will start to see that life expectancy drop.

I bought a pick up that had a new engine and turbo fitted by LR at 87,000 miles. The rest of the car was great but the company driver had never checked the oil or water. It was topped up at services.

When buying a station wagon though I would be more interested in condition than milage provided it runs well which yours does. The later station wagons suffer badly with corrosion/reaction around the rear tub and door frames which is not cheap to put right properly. Even rough ones seem to fetch good money though.

I looked at a 110 the same colour as yours up north and it was one of the worst 110s I have ever seen with dented panels, gaps in the roof where the water was pouring in, smashed alloys and a knackered turbo. He still wanted just under £8k on a P reg. I never knew you could grow that much mould in a defender.

Richard

Before he died last year my father would not sell a 110 till it hit 450,000 to 500,000 miles

two 200's and a 300 reached that no problem

head gaskets are a 150k service item

he would buy new they towed 98% of the time and they wanted for nothing always fully mantained as it was costing all the time a truck was off the road.

The company still has his last one which is know 'S' reg which is the longest time they have ever kept one for.

the LR were driven all the time doing over 100k per year but even when they were sold they looked as good as the day they arrived.

In all that time and all those miles he never had to buy a new engine ever for a LR even in the early days with his 85 110 V8 county.

Gearboxes I will not talk about with some having three of four before they hit 500,000miles.