Help Needed!

AndyM1980

I need your help please people. my land rover respray fund has been stolen by by wife, and i have heard this transport paint is quite cheap, though maybe not the best to look at. I have an old E reg 110 and it desperately needs something doing, thinking of rollering the paint on. Can anyone give a complete novice help on prepping it i.e. what to use (can i wet and dry it?) and where to find this transport paint and how best to apply it? Is it possible for an amateur to manage? Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!!

I'm definitely not a role-model for vehicle painting, but I used transport enamel on the 109 and it came out OK although by no means smooth.

I hate prep so didn't really do much - prep will make or break anything like this so be patient & methodical and do it right. I rollered on a layer of Barcote to give a barrier between the multiple flavours of paint previously on the vehicle, then used an electric fence sprayer and rollers to do the top coat.

Before:

post-21-1249389468_thumb.jpg

Barcote on:

post-21-1249389533_thumb.jpg

Top half painted:

post-21-1249389577_thumb.jpg

Bottom half done:

post-21-1249389602_thumb.jpg

Find your local automotive paint suppliers and ask they what they can make up for hand painting.

I seem to recall they offered me gloss only, but in a huge range of colours.

Give old paint a key (scouring pads) or wet and dry to get rid of edges, or filler if needed etc.

I used radiator rollers and brushes to get into corners.

Two coats and you get a reasonable finish.. (perfect for an E reg...) This was NATO green befor hand.

001%20jelly%20back.jpg

Mole valley farmers or anything similar do teamac synthetic enamel which sticks to anything and is easy to use and a good price at 7+vat per litre

i did mine in it but i did spray rather than roller as i think it gives a better finish and takes less time

post-1049-1249402970_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help need to sort my paint out then get prepping i suppose. Would be nice to think I could do it outside, but its been pouring from the skies here in birmingham all day, been trying to get a TDI engine out of a discovery all day, cant get the top two of the bell housing. Think i need to invest in some different kit. Either that or buy some hand grenades? Thanks to all who replied, I will more than likely become the most annoying person ever on this site as I'm going to need alot of help!

Thanks again,

Andy

Just a "trick" to use when hand painting

Get some " Owatrol Oil" add 10 -15% to the gloss coats , this will retard the paint hardening slightly, then roller the paint on using a "radiator 6" foam roller" horizontally on the panels then draw the paint off downwards or at 90 degs using a good dry brush

This will get a good smooth finish, I have used this method on Trucks, Boats and Vehicles for a number of years and gives a good relatively brush line free finish

Baldy