90 with discovery autobox speedometer question

inchman

hi, i got my first spin last night in my 90 since the engine /gearbox swap. ( gone from 2.5 td lt77 to discovery 300tdi auto box and transfer box) . It seems nipper already and when kicked down it really takes off. my question is, i removed the speedo sender from the drive and put the cabel in. Is my speedo reading near enough the right speed ?

cheers Gary

hi, i got my first spin last night in my 90 since the engine /gearbox swap. ( gone from 2.5 td lt77 to discovery 300tdi auto box and transfer box) . It seems nipper already and when kicked down it really takes off. my question is, i removed the speedo sender from the drive and put the cabel in. Is my speedo reading near enough the right speed ?

cheers Gary

It depends how big your tyres are. The Discovery would have had 205x16 or 235/70x16. If you tyres are larger than either of these your speedo will be under reading.

There are a range of transfer box speedo drive gears to suit different tyre sizes. If you post up with your tyre size I'm sure one of the tech gods will be able to tell you which gear you need.

As above, if you have 205R16 or 235/70R16 tyres on your 90 then the speedo will be geared correctly. If running 7.50R16 or 235/85R16 tyres then you will have to replace the speedo drive gear in the transfer box with a blue gear (probably from your old transfer box).

Other gears are available - there is a thread on here about part numbers, number of teeth, gear colour, etc which the search function should throw up.