td5 lag on low

Hi all,

Td5's tend to have alot of lag when driving on low, it is a safety feature sort of to prevent you from breaking shafts and other related stuff. i was told to remove a socket from the transfer case so that the ecu won't know that you changed to low and will keep the lag as on high meaning very few lag. is this true? can anyone explain to me please where this sensor is so that i disconnect it and have some decent power on low when offroading.

it really annoys me cos when climbing steep hills u have to press hard with your right foot to have some decent power. its like that the accelerator pedal becomes less sensitve.

thanks

Gil

Plug is at front of transfer box. Putting it in low changes sensitivity of throttle pedal, idea being to stop people stalling it off road.

IIRC, pulling connector doesn't always work, and you have to modify it. Can't remember how though. - lot of help :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

Depending on whether the hi-low sensor (basically a diff lock switch IIRC) is normally open or normally closed (I don't know, a guess would be pointless and I can't be bothered to go and look it up at the moment) you would need to either unplug the hi/low sensor, or unplug it and bridge the contacts. 30 sec with a multimeter should tell you which way it works. I never had a Td5 but I always thought that if I did I would put a switch on the dash to switch between the two maps. I definitely would in a Puma, as the low range throttle mapping is equally horrible in those and the anti stall is so good.

Was supposedly a dealer bodge to bridge contacts to fool ecu it was in low in the early days when customers complained about stalling. Just unplug and it will think you are in high all the time. The sensor is on top of the tbox over the front output housing. In low it should give a slower throttle response but still give same ultimate power, have you had faults checked for other problems. Mine is still fine for power in low off road.

No faults till now. just did a diagnostic check last week at my dealer. i complained to him re this lag on low and that while climbing steep hills it stalls all the time and he told me to unplug that sensor.

one last question...cos i'm afraid to unplug the wrong sensor...is this plug fixed to a metal bracket? its not a sensor fixed directly to the transfer case like the difflock switch (for the dash light) its just a plug with wires on both sides!

thanks alot for the help guys. i really appreciate.

Gil

I've never had any problems like this, are you choosing the right gear? If you've got your foot to the floor and it's stalling, pulling this switch is not going to make any difference.

The throttle sensitivity change is to adjust for anti stall. It is only a small band of revs that anti-stall is affected by. You have to be firm in your application of the throttle and not hesitate or try to feather the throttle. It's this that causes stalling in most cases as the anti-stall comes in, but then senses you applying throttle so comes off, but by this time you've sensed the surge in revs from anti stall so you lift off too and it either stalls or kangaroos while you both do the above for a few times! ;-)

Personally the main area I've had problems with anti-stall is on slow technical stuff where a light throttle is required, like steep incline over rocks for example. On normal inclines never a problem. I have found with a TD5 that more times than not you are selecting 2nd low for a steep hill not 3rd.

Cheers

Steve

the thing is SteveG that on low the right pedal becomes less sensitive so you have to press it much more then u do on high to have the same power. when u unplug this sensor this problem is solved. thats what i was told! now i remove it and see the difference! :)

gil