Wiring the rear wash wipe

Can anyone help me with a simple explanation or even a diagram to wire in the rear wiper and washer and heated window on my 90 ?

It was a truck cab so there are no wires for the switch or any to plug the loom from the rear door into and as im useless at electrics i have no idea where to start so i thought i would ask the experts

You know what Ralph i was kinda hoping you might reply as you always seem to come up with the goods

That is a great help mate thanks , i do have the switch in the dash and the wiper motor etc is already on the door it was just the bit in the middle i dont have .

What rating of wire should i use ?

Vehicle Wiring Products shows this as good rating for rear screen heater & rear wash/wipe use

Ref 25. 28/0.30mm, 2mm2, 25amp.

£0.39 per metre. £27.11 per 100 metre reel.

Plain colours also available in 30 metre reels @£9.72

Typical applications. Headlamps, fog & driving lamps,

rear screen heater, windscreen wiper motor.

on this page, thinwall cable click the colour drop menu & yu can have the correct base & trace colours to match the existing wiring in the dash & rear door.

Right now i am really confused :rolleyes: had another look at the wiring for the rear wash wipe and it seems i have the correct colours coming into the truck at the back in the corner BUT i cannot find all the colours coming out of the back of the fuse board :blink:

How can that be ???

Have you got a small extra fusebox with 2 fuses in, on the lower left of the main fusebox panel, if Yes these are for the rear wash/wipe & rear screen heater,

if No, you'll need to add them along with the wiring. refer to the parts diagram below which shows the required items [4 wiring loom, 5 fusebox, 6 fuse x 2,]

Note this extra loom also has the the rear screen heater/switch & relay

the wiring from the rear comes up from the chassis in the engine bay adajacent to the brake servo/clutch pedal assemblies.

post-20-125044314238_thumb.jpg

post-20-125044314714_thumb.jpg

Can anybody follow up the diagram of the rear wiper/wash switch with the terminal numbers each wire should be attached to. I had to remove mine and thought i had labelled it all up properly but i now keep blowing the fuse each time i operate the washer pump.

Can anybody follow up the diagram of the rear wiper/wash switch with the terminal numbers each wire should be attached to. I had to remove mine and thought i had labelled it all up properly but i now keep blowing the fuse each time i operate the washer pump.

Seen from the back:

post-8420-125111493836_thumb.gif

• 3 years later...

Hi.

I've just replaced the rear wiper and used a later motor which I've been told is the correct one for my Defender 90 300tdi 1995 VIN/Chassis number, however the loom connectors do not match.

This one I have fitted is: http://www.famousfour.co.uk/images/parts/ff006957.jpg

The original motor has exactly the same wiring configuration but it's not clear on this motor where the connections go.

The original loom does not have the same connector block so therefore it's not a simple plug and go!

Looking at the motor from the inside of the car (with the spindle pointing away from you) what way round are the connections?

There is a small two wire connector on the left hand side that has a green and a black. At the top of the motor there is a three wire cnnector that has a red/lt green, a brown/lt green and a black.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Good resource this thread, #1 on google search for defender rear wiper wiring. Has helped me rule out a few things but I'm still stuck with my wiper not working. It used to work.

Wiring question:

If there is no power at the small extra fusebox with 2 fuses in (ign on), where might I find the missing connection?

I cant tell from the wiring diagram where the 12v feed to the small fuse box comes from.

I have to get an MOT, so need to get it working again, but so far I have a dashboard with its guts out and a puzzled face.

rear wash/wipe is NOT a MOT testable item, so if it's fitted but not working the vehicle cannot fail because it's not working.

the wash/wipe loom in my 110 is a addiional loom, it takes the 12v feed from an ignition controlled plain white or plain green wire

there should be a unused 4 pin connector with these wires in --- [also supplies power to rear heated screen]

plain white

plain green

white/black trace

brown/white trace

this is the connection from main loom to rear wash/wipe sub loom.

hope that helps.

thanks western, that'll help. I'll continue to hunt around behind the dash. A bullet connection must have popped out somewhere.

Im actually doing the Australian 'MOT'. Over here all fitted wipers, squirters and demisters must work. If I loose patience I may just remove the wiper and squirter, I doubt they will bother to volt check the rear screen heater.

cheers

well I have got power back going to the rear wiper fuse, so switch for rear wipe/wash is working. :)

I could not find a four plug behind the center console or the instrument panel, instead I found a couple of white wires with bullet connectors, one male, one female. So stuck em together and presto. Bit concerned it is not correct though.

This was the homeless bullet behind intrument cluster. Goes to the fuse for rear wiper.

post-20129-0-93062000-1387252086_thumb.jpg

I could only find a mate in this single connector (left side). Concern is that this 12v ignition feed only has one wire, giving it approx. half the guage of the connection to fusebox which has two.

post-20129-0-04976000-1387252292_thumb.jpg

The double connector on the right is dead, no current. White with brown trace. Not sure what it is supposed to connect to but there does appear to be some continuity between it and the fuse box connection for the screen demister. It is also wrapped in the same loom.

Then there is this big fat ignition power feed. Putting out 12v on ign but I cannot find any free spade connections for it.

post-20129-0-25495500-1387253421_thumb.jpg

Gonna leave the rear demister alone for now... off to the testers tomo. Hopefully they will be so impressed with the rear wiper/squirter action they will forget about testing the rear demister ;)