bearing noise 300 tdi

hello all i have a couple of question for you that hopefully some oe will be able to point me in the rite direction

i have a 300tdi from a 96 plate disco in my 90 and seen to have a bearing noise from the pulley that the viscous fan would be on if i had one have removed the belt and spun the pulley and it sounds really bad. can the bearing be replaced or is it part of the timeing chest and not replaceable seperatly? if it can be done has anyone done one,ie how hard and any special tools req????

second one is lookin into doing the cambelt as not sure when it was done last and been loking at belt kits on various sites and there seen to be 2 kits an early or late one any idea what kit i would need????? and do you get every thing you need in the kit or is it onr of those kits where you get it all in bits and realize there is a gasket or a seal thats not in the kit that you need????

many thanks

The fan pulley bearing is removable, however the actual bearing seems to be difficult to get as the original manufacturer no longer makes it. It must be available as you can buy a replacement cover with a new bearing in it, but as yet I have not managed to track one down.

This thread is as far as I got :- click here

Pete.

The fan pulley bearing is removable, however the actual bearing seems to be difficult to get as the original manufacturer no longer makes it. It must be available as you can buy a replacement cover with a new bearing in it, but as yet I have not managed to track one down.

This thread is as far as I got :- click here

Pete.

There is an Oz firm selling them on ebay believe it or not. See

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190222773322&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

£49.32 plus postage.

Or if you're in Tasmania you could pop in and get them to fit it.

Nigel

Yep well aware of the bearing from Tasmania. However, it should be possible to by the bearing in this country for about a £10 (if I can find a suitable supplier) and the replacement cover including the bearing, etc was only about £90 and less hassle.

Pete.

well the weekend just gone the 90 threw its alt belt off due to the bearing giveing up totally and letting the pully tip,gonna have a look in some scrappys next weekend and see if i can get a deal on the whole front cover as long as i can find a decent one.in sure there will be plenty of dead 300tdi discos about

unless everyone has had the engines away to put in there 90s :)

thanks for all the help chaps