Premature 300TDi Cambelt Failure

An unmechanical friend of mine recently had a cambelt go on a 300TDi in a 110. It had recently (a few hundred miles ?) been replaced by a very well known vehicle preparer. There is mention of a 1 in 20 problem, though it is unclear whether this was a suggestion made by the preparer or someone else. A couple of questions for you guys:

Is it possible to drive a properly sorted 300TDi engine (standard fitting in a 110) so as to cause premature cambelt failure ?

Is there authoritative mention anywhere of a 1 in 20 chance of premature cambelt failure ?

What might cause such a failure ?

Mechanical damage to the belt while fitting, seems unlikley, swarf or other sh*te getting it, again unlikley, incorrect/wrong tensioner installation, idler/tensioner bearing, Brit***t bits ?

I ask both on my friend's behalf and because I did mine about 2,000 miles ago.

All suggestions welcome

Regards

Richard

What might cause such a failure ?

Mechanical damage to the belt while fitting, seems unlikley, swarf or other sh*te getting it, again unlikley, incorrect/wrong tensioner installation, idler/tensioner bearing, Brit***t bits ?

Richard,

The only thing that I can see missing from that list is the re-torqueing of the rear timing case cover. This 'realigns' the IP sprocket with the others.

'Borrowed' from Difflock.com

Whilst you are at it, slacken off the rear timing cover fixings (no need to remove it or break the gasket seal unless the oil seals on the camshaft or crankshaft are leaking and require replacement) to the engine block and torque these up evenly (25 Nm) in the correct order shown in the diagram above.

Rear-Timing-Cover-Bolt-Tig.jpg

I also assume that you have both had the modified bottom sprocket (with the shoulders) and the later tensioner fitted.

There are only three possible ways you can get premature failure (that I can think of).

Only the belt being changed instead of a whole kit.

Injector pump leaking fuel onto the belt.

Some idiot not doing the job properly in the first place.

Les.

Plus dirt/water ingress if used in arduous conditions with no wading plug

Poorly made crank pulley where the spot welds fail and the lip falls off can also cause it to happen. I saw one a few years ago which spat the belt off without breaking it because the lip fell off. Minced everything up and needed it all changing anyway but it wasn't a belt problem pretty sure it was just a faulty part.