Gearbox oil plug siezed

nathan

This question relates to my Nissan Terrano which I use for Greenlaning.

My g'box has become noisy and so I thought I would check the oil level in the box.

The plug is undone by using a 14mm square tool that fits into the plug.

The plug was stuck tight and using a bit of leverage ended up breaking the tool I was using but I thought persevere a bit and see if things improved. whats actually happened is that the tool has now 'rounded' the fitting on the plug.

So how would you now go about removing the plug from the g'box?

Weld a short bolt onto the plug?

Weld a nut onto the plug?

Anything else?

Nath

Tap on a snug fitting socket and remove using ratchet*

*Hammer on a very tight socket and remove using breaker bar :rolleyes:

There is nothing to lamp a socket onto.

This isnt a sump plug that has a nut on it.

The nut is if yoiu like inverted into the plug, does that make sense?

I've tried the welding option several times with plugs, studs etc. At risk of telling you something you already know my experience is that it's tricky. There's a lot of metal and a big heat sink around the gear box plug. And much of that heat sink is aluminium?

The first trick is sizing the nut. Biggest you can that gives enough landing to weld. The you've got to figure some way of holding it in place while you get a tack on. Socket extension bar on trolley jack works for me.

Now the controversial bit (others may not agree): Don't pussy foot around with the amps. Give it loads and concentrate weld on plug (as if you're welding thin metal to thick), it's easy to con yourself that you have weld but there's no penetration because of the heatsink. But only go in short bursts to avoid overheating (melting) the box casting. Also it's easy to build so much weld on nut that you can't get socket on securely.

A few good tacks should suffice, no need to go for full weld. The heave ho with socket. 9 times out of 10 if the weld is good the plug will come out with surprising ease (possibly the heat?). If the weld isn't good the nut simply snaps off the plug as clean as a whistle, and you bash your knuckles. As me how I know :blink:

You are left with welding i'm afraid, either that or drilling out the plug, but then you'd probably get swarf in the box...

Mike

You could always replace the box, say with an R380, then stick a suitable transfer box to the back, and a nice MS V8 on the front, in an LR chassis .. portals ... ;)

Garcon! Mon mac por favor!

hi

It may sound silly but hitting the plug a couple of times with a copper hammer, not to hard to avoid damaging the casing the shock will loosen the threads and make it easier to remove. I have to do this a lot with drain plugs on tractors at work. Though if it is rounded off badly you will probaly still have to weld a nut onto the plug to get it out.

HTH

matt

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm gonna have to weld a nut/stubby bolt on I think and see how we go.

Is there any chance that by doing so an using more force to undo the plug that i could split or crack the g'box casing?

You're unlikely to crack the case.

Penetrating oil - good stuff not WD, and a blowlamp would have been my first port of call.

Order a replacement plug before progressing further.

Sounds like you've already got the proper plug tool so no need for me to suggest that,

As you've already rounded the socket, you are down to weld, but you could weld a short bolt into a nut, and weld the lot to the plug - it saves you trying not to get too much weld on the nut so you cant get the socket on!

Maybe stupid question, but are you turning it the right way?

Sometimes when under the vehicle working upside down in a tight space (I presume this plug is on the side of the box)it can be a bit disorientating as to which is clockwise or anti-clockwise.

I have occasionally got it wrong to my shame!

Following on from the welding theme I would suggest you find a nice big bolt and grind/file the shank to fit the square hole and, if you can, make it oversize so you can hammer it home. Then weld it and get a wrench on it as soon as possible so everything is still hot.

My reasoning is that you have already proven the plug is well tight so just welding something onto the surface is probably not going to hold. Trying to undo it whilst hot is so that the ali will have expanded some.

Steve