Crankshaft rear oil seal - Pattern 'G' or Genuine?

ex_mod_90

Hi Gents.

I am currently looking into whipping the engine out, to fit a new clutch. Whilst I am at it, I am going to do the rear crank seal, part number ERR2532

I have been reading the thread about Bearmach/Britpart, and wondered where Allmakes fit into all of this. Generally I always try to fit 'G' parts, however if you have a look at www.lrdirect.com and search for ERR2532, then a number of parts are listed, pattern and Genuine. If you also look at the supplier, the following can be seen:

ERR2532

Britpart/Allmakes £7.59 / £7.69

ERR2532G

OEM - Britpart £17.11

Allmakes OE - Allmakes £17.65

Land Rover - Land Rover £26.50

So it looks like Britpart & Allmakes do a cheapo version and also an OEM version. Question is which one to buy as pattern, is there any difference?

Or do I spend the extra and have a genuine LR version?

I would be interested in opinions.

Thanks

Rich.

Anything that turns, seals or is safety critical - use genuine, that's my motto!

And, by genuine, I mean from a main dealer - a surprising number of parts suppliers think 'genuine' means something they think is as good as genuine.

At least from a main dealer you can guarantee it will be good. Ultimately, the question with any patterned part is, does the saving make it worth doing the job again?

Si

Thanks to all those that have replied, you've all pretty much echoed my thoughts with regards to genuine seals.

Just wondered what experiences had been with non 'Land Rover' 'G' parts.

I will get genuine LR seals in nice LR packaging.

Thanks again.

Rich.