TurboDevs Intercoolers

I bought this off ebay. It was advertised for £135 + £12 delivery or offers. The guy had 10 available, I offered £100 delivered, he came back with £120 delivered, at which I bought.

random030.jpg

The end pipes were 3", the standard LR ones 2". And it was just too long to fit between the inner wings.

So I cut the end pipes off, re-drilled the end tanks for 2" pipes out of the side, mocked up some pipework out of steel for a pattern.

Photo0033.jpg

Then handed it over to my mate Ben, who formed the ally pipework and welded the end caps to make it a perfect fit with the standard LR pipes. He charged me £20 for this, but said if he was doing it at proper rate it would be £40. So this IC has cost me £140, and with a bit of angle iron for a bottom mount and 4 bobbins, is a straight fit into my 110.

IntercoolerWelding.jpg

But I havn't got the results I was looking for, I was expecting a drop in EGT's which I havn't got. See other thread in here :)

I agree, I spent a lot of time in the scrappers first before going this route!

My thinking with intercoolers is that big is best. So I was looking for the physically largest I could fit between the wings.

Only ones I found with the same surface area and thickness as the one I bought were from a 7.5 ton Isuzu NQR and an 18 ton Volvo FL7, both of which would have needed some major surgery to both the cooler and the front of my 110 to get them to be a good fit. And both were single pass so a lot more pipework would be needed to plumb them in.

Cieran,

What size is that twin pass, I think I've been on that blokes shop and thought the twin pass idea would be a neater instalation but I'd been thinking silicone elbows not modding the cooler. Dont have a mate that can weld ally yet. Will be looking at the electric requirements for my Isuzu project this weekend and labeling up the cables.

My only thoughts on the twin pass style (and I've no experience of them), is to re-phrase the description so that it reads, the hot inlet and the cold outlet adjacent to each other.

I'm not sure whether this is ever a negative, but I do think it's worth mentioning.

To people with single pass or crossflow intercoolers, even if you don't get really involved and put two temperature gauges in there, put the engine under some stress, like full throttle up a hill where the gradient is steep enough to stop the car accelerating. As soon as practical after the top of the hill, pull over and stop. Leave the engine ticking over (obviously), but put your fingertips on the solid aluminium at the outlet, then do the same at the inlet (of the intercooler). You might be surprised how hot the inlet is.

Given a few minutes more driving, in a twin pass design, I think some of that heat is going to be conducted to the adjaent outlet. Of courde, the neatness of the installation may create stonger advantages.

HTH

My 110's parked up at work, will have a measure up when I get chance, let you know what size it is.

This I/C was physically too large to fit between the wings with the pipes still on, that said it would have been possible (and I did consider), to pipe through the ns wing. This would have meant a lot more pipework though, which I wanted to avoid.

Didn't see the drop in EGT's I was expecting, but there's a definate improvement in acceleration/pull, and the engine runs smoother.

Yes the outlet may get hotter than with a single pass, but there's a lot less pipework needed for a twinpass, which brings it's own merits to the table. And the installation is a lot neater without the extra pipework.

I think I'll go for the twin pass idea, however, what I cant fathom yet is what diameter do I pipe it all up in? is there a standard convention for this? There appear to be a number of different diameters used for various items on the engine going from 32mm on turbo to the large diameter on the air filter.

Ok done some looking now. I didn't buy from this guy http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/IntercoolerKing__W0QQ_armrsZ1

but he sells the same products.

I used the Large 600 series TwinPass, but on reflection a Medium 450 Twinpass would have also been a straight fit, albeit with a smaller surface area, and would not have needed the pipework altering.

The pipework generally seems to be in metric equivilent imperial sizes, if that makes any sense!

Standard 200TDi pipework is 51mm, (2 inch), this intercooler was 76mm (3 inch). Others I measured up or saw for sale seemed to be imperial sizes too, 2+1/2" 63mm, 1+1/2" 38mm, etc..

This IC I used measures 790mm end to end, including the pipework (the gap between the inner wings is also 790mm leaving no room for the elbows), 300mm top to bottom plus the the mounting lugs (20mm each I think) and 80mm thick.

The height and thickness are a spot on fit, but ideally if the IC was just 700mm long including the pipes, it wouldn't have needed any modification other than some step down elbows.

I used all the original pipe work and hoses on my engine, but swapped around. There was a right angle elbow at the bottom on the original IC, and a straight connector at the top, these are now swapped around to fit the new IC. But the beauty (by design) is that this one will just lift out and the original will just drop straight back in without having to swap parts about. Having designed this whole lot to be like a kit form, with minimal cutting/alteration to the original vehicle, I'm considering making a kit to sell now :)

Cheers Cieranc,

My vehicle is a V8 so no pre-existing stuff to worry about or compare to hence question as I was a bit in the dark about intercoolers all round. I was thinking of using silicone hoses from begining and didnt want to make a big mistake on pipe sizes. Keeping to one routing size 51mm and simply using step down/up adaptors would make sense.

Did you connect the actuator that opens the small flap valve in the turbo casting to anything? After some advice from another Isuzu conversion vet I junked the big butterfly valve and actuator from the exhaust adaptor casting.

Well that's the beauty of using hoses, there's that many different ones available you can plumb just about anything in neatly.

You've lost me a bit with turbo valve there Simon. My next step will be to shorten the wastegate actuator arm to increase the boost a bit, once I've plumbed my boost gauge in. I believe 0.8 bar is standard boost in a 200TDi, and 1.0 bar in a 300TDi. So I'm going to up the boost from 0.8 to 1.0 for now, see how it goes. I know people running 1.2 bar in 200TDis, but thats a bit much I think.

Ahh! It's become clearer now, I'm doing a V8 - Isuzu conversion, I had assumed yours was an Isuzu. I think form other reports I'll need to change to a 3.1 manifold to get the most out of the turbo and intercooler combo. I need to start posting pictures I think!