Kinetic Recovery?

Unsworth

I have to agree with some and disagree with other stuff

Totally agree that in the wrong hands Kinetic ropes are dangerous but so are winches and the most dangerous of the all the Hi lift Jack

I have seen some things over the years that will make your toes curl . From so called experianced off roader to beginers

But here in Aus it is the prefered mode of recovery . But that is manly in Sand , where the Kinetic tow rope come into its own . Winches are not alot of use unless you have a Good ground Anchor , as not alot of trees on the beach . So alot of people have them here and tow each out with them on the beach. Works alot better on sand than a standard tow rope.

I have to agree with some and disagree with other stuff

Totally agree that in the wrong hands Kinetic ropes are dangerous but so are winches and the most dangerous of the all the Hi lift Jack

I have seen some things over the years that will make your toes curl . From so called experianced off roader to beginers

But here in Aus it is the prefered mode of recovery . But that is manly in Sand , where the Kinetic tow rope come into its own . Winches are not alot of use unless you have a Good ground Anchor , as not alot of trees on the beach . So alot of people have them here and tow each out with them on the beach. Works alot better on sand than a standard tow rope.

I think those are mainly "recovery straps" rather than kinetic ropes though ? Kinetic ropes have a much greater stretch and store a lot more energy than a recovery strap which, IIRC, only stretches to around 20% of it's original length. I carry and use an ARB recovery strap which I use both for simple recovery and towing having seen them and used them in Oz and been very impressed with them. They are not a KERR though in the form that was developed/used by the military to recover tanks. They are a sort of 'KERR Lite" and, partly as a result of their limited stretch, aren't used in the same "banzai" method that KERR tends to be used.

We banned KERR from club events many years ago after taking the decision that we couldn't control or monitor their use and the risk involved was much higher than any other form of recovery. This followed a particularly close escape where a recovery shackle took out the windscreen of the vehicle being recovered when a recovery point gave way (it tore the spreader plate out of the chassis). Fortunately the shackle hit the windscreen at the top so it both smashed the windscreen and bent the roof of the vehicle, the roof absorbing most of the impact and stopping the shackle entering the passenger compartment (although I doubt they ever got a windscreen back into the frame !).

Much the same story with peat, Aus beaches are not the only place with no trees :)