Defender tailgate

LR90

OK, I have very limited fab facilities and time but am looking for ideas for my defender tailgate.

99% of the time I just don't bother having it fitted as it saves weight but more importantly greatly improves visibility and drainage of the tub. A std tailgate is fitted when I'm carrying stuff that I'd rather didn't fall out of the back.

So, any pics, ideas or suggestions for tailgates that I can have (semi)permanently fitted that are lighter than the stock item but don't restrict visibility or water ingress/egress?

I have replaced mine with a length of 2x1 box section that is rebated at both ends down to about 5 mm thick and then drilled to fit over the standard antiluices- it helps to carry any side load from one side of the tub to the other when I put the body sliders against a tree.

pretty much what i am looking to make up for mine currently

Trev,

Some thoughts/ideas.

Waffleboard (or similar) section using alength of aluminium extrusion to hold the hinges and sides?

Full size waffleboard stored accross the opening - stops stuff falling out - unless in use

Does it need to be full height?

GRP/composite board, with or without core material?

Checkerplate, but bent by 90 deg at the edges to give better bending resistance. You would need to think carefully about whether the flanges went up or down in the open position.

I am sure a grown up will come along soon with a fully formed solution - but these are a few off th wall ideas

Cheers

Martin

Thanks all. Had thought of 2x1 but only of bolting the existing bracketry to it so I like MM's suggestion of modding it to go over the antiluices(sp?) On its own it doesn't stop the cat food falling out of the back on the way back from Tescos though.

Netting is good but not at that price :huh: Unsure whether to go for fixed netting or netting fixed to an easily removable frame.