Old Sod: QT Diff guard fitting prob.

Countax

I bought a QT diff guard for my D90 rear axle at Old Sod. But when i try to fit it, it seems too short. The gap between the top bracket that comes across the top of the diff and the chunky bit that protects the diff and comes up over the diff pann is about 25mm, yet the bolt supplied is only about 20mm. In the Instructions it seems to imply you are meant to pull the 2 parts together to close the gap, but no way can i close a 25mm gap.

Anyone else having the same problem?

I guess i have to call QT in the morning to see what the problem is.

Nigel

Mine were both a git to fit - others drop straight on. I presume you've not tightened any of the bolts up yet? I had to resort to mole grips and a tyre-iron to bend it into shape.

Yup, make sure all the other bolts are loose - especially the top bracket ones. It should go on easily then.

Chris

• 1 year later...
I bought a QT diff guard for my D90 rear axle at Old Sod. But when i try to fit it, it seems too short. The gap between the top bracket that comes across the top of the diff and the chunky bit that protects the diff and comes up over the diff pann is about 25mm, yet the bolt supplied is only about 20mm. In the Instructions it seems to imply you are meant to pull the 2 parts together to close the gap, but no way can i close a 25mm gap.

Anyone else having the same problem?

I guess i have to call QT in the morning to see what the problem is.

Nigel

Secure the top plate to the main diff plate first (the 2 bolts you are struggling with) Then use a trolly jack to locate/line-up the plate for the 2 x 3/8 unc bolts on the diff. The wieght of the vehicle persuades the top plate to flex closing the gap you have.

Make sure the bottom two bolts are tight. I hit a rather large chunk of rock, moving the guard backwards :o Now i have a nice flattened section on the diff pan :huh:

Hope that sorts ya prob?

Mark

3/8 UNC x 1.25"

Jon

well i tried some 3/8 UNC and it made a right b****y mess of the bolt thread! only thankful it wasnt the thread inside

turns out it's actually 3/8 UNF! same as the bolts that hold the diff into the axle