V8 misfire - where have I heard that before?

I have just got home having come 9 miles, flat out in 3rd. (at 35mph).

I didnt expect it to be 100% as the vehicle (90 with ex rangie 3.5 on strombergs with a points dizzy) has been laid up for some time.

Now what gets me is the engine is only luke warm after 9 miles of flat out driving? Am I right in thinking this may be caused by drastic overfuelling? (lean = hot running, so rich = cool running?)

And when I say the engine isnt hot, i mean the rad, all hoses, the block, oil filter etc etc.

What on earth is going on?!

Yours, ears ringing,

Roland

Well explosions are explosions and they are always on the hot side. Is it running okay ? I'd suspect jammed open thermostat resulting in massive over-cooling. If it's been laid up maybe the carb jets are blocked and some of it isn't getting any fuel ? I think the carbs do 4 cylinders each don't they ?

Well explosions are explosions and they are always on the hot side. Is it running okay ? I'd suspect jammed open thermostat resulting in massive over-cooling. If it's been laid up maybe the carb jets are blocked and some of it isn't getting any fuel ? I think the carbs do 4 cylinders each don't they ?

Yep, Ya kannae change the laws of physics :-)

Even a thermostat missing shouldn't leave you with a cold engine. Only thing I can think of that would give you a cold rad etc is complete coolant loss. Gauge would also read cold......

Did it sound like it was on 8? My Dads 101 had a stuck needle (also Strombergs) and this resulted in it running as a V4. Would still be warm though, but two outer cylinders on one bank and two inner ones on the other...

In that state it ran badly, no power and sounded like a tractor.

It had also been laid up for about 2 years before we bought it and this was right after.

It souds like its running on about 3 cylinders. Drove it to work this morning and got some heat in the engine, i think the stat is stuck or missing.

When you put your foot down it seems to pop back from the left hand (when viewed from the front) carb.

Pulling the choke out seems to make no difference to how it runs.

Right, bit of a breakthrough

I found by chance that at idle, one of the carbs had suction, and the other did not, ie you could stall the engine if you put your hand over one, and the other made no difference. Ive played with the balancing and it has made it much better, but not 100%

I still get this popping from the right hand carb, what would cause this?

I've set the timimg at about 8 degreed btdc.

Is there anything else I could adjust?

Roland

Are you sure there was no suction? That is kind of hard to achieve as it would mean that 2 cylinders per side were not working.

From the lrFAQ site:

" Each carb feeds the two inner cylinders on the opposite side of the carb and the two outer cylinders either side of the carb"

I have had issues where crud has been sucked into the line and effectively blocked off one carb.

Pull the leads off on the cylinders that the problem carb is supposed to be fuelling. If you hear no change in engine note you have nothing going on in them. Then i'd check that the needle is rising and falling on the duff carb with changes in revs. If it isnt thats your problem. Fix that and try again...

If the needle is moving up and down freely then take the carb off and clean out any crud you may find.

Popping back through a carb is a symptom of an overly lean mixture and so would tie in with a fuelling problem.

Hopefully that will help. :D