offsetting wheels / spinning centres round

jamesvfr

Hi all

Going to get either some disco steels or 8 spokes

I want to either move the centre further back in the wheel to get more offset or spin the centre round which will do the same sort of thing

Any one got any tips before i jump in a do it?

James

Measure VERY carefully and if you aren't 100% confident in the quality of your own welding find some one who is. Spining it up on a lathe to check run out before fully welding would be a good move and then again afterwards to check it hasn't warped.

Technically they probable shouldn't be used on the road after modification, and if they brake on the road and cause an accident you can expect some difficult questions, possible in court. Having the work done / checked by a qualified / experienced engineer would answer most of the questions i.e. PROVE they were as strong as origional.

I used to do it at my old work and did quite a few sets of them.

Use a 1mm cutting disk to cut through the weld. Be careful not to cut into the wheel (doesnt matter if you cut in a little bit). Use a bit of pipe and a hammer to seperate the centre. Only hit the outer edge where that is up against the actual wheel. Otherwise you will warp the centre. This will probably take awhile to get out as you need to minimize the amount you cut. You can tell when it starts to move as the weld will start to crack.

When it is out use a flap disk to clean up the centre from the wheel. When its cleaned up, depending on if you are just adding backspace or flipping, line it up again and hammer it back in to around the right position taking care to only hit the outer edge. Then with it in place, measure from where the wheel contacts the hub to the outside of the wheel using a straight edge and a ruler. go around and measure at the 12,3,6 and 9 oclock positions to find where it is out, and then give it a light whack until all measure the same. Tack it up in 4 places and bolt it onto a hub on your truck. Give it a spin and see if there is wobble. If there is this means either your measurements are out or the wheel is buckled. If it is buckled, the best you can do is to mark where it is different and give it a whack in the right direction. Try and get it as good as you can. Then weld em up and enjoy.

The other way to do it is to build a jig which will take a bit more setting up, but if you plan to do a few wheels then it is probably worth it.

Jon White and I (I welded them up) did a set

Do a search theres a thread on it

More than doable if you have welding ability and a

eye for detial via a dial gauage - Jons modded wheels are superbly

done, no wobble run out, and hell will freeze over before the welds ever break

and they look and act superbly for what he set out to avhive

Nige

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

For what its worth I've done alot of these at work for testing purposes and never to use on the road but i've seen Disco rims with reversed spiders and as long as they're set up well with a d.t.i.(for run-out) and the weldings good i can't see why they wouldn't be ok off road and for competition altho i must admit i'd be a bit wary of using them on the road, infact i'd say don't.

A wheel is classed as a life and limb (safety) item so it has to be built properly to certain standards and tested etc etc and any tampering with it would definately cause problems with your insurance and probably the police in the case of an accident.

Mark