Do power steering pumps sieze

MogLite

The garage has just said my PAS pump is siezing on my Omega.

I've never heard of a pump siezing before, I thought they leaked to death.

Do they sieze ? A new pump is £250 fitted and I'm thinking its a death throw for the Omega :angry:

My power steering pump seized, started squealing like mad, smell of burning, however it unseized shortly after and worked for at least 20 minutes before spitting it's guts out.

Also had an alternator seize in the same way with similar actions.

Will - any pointers on how to strip a 200tdi power steering pump, no obvious way of taking apart to me, I was planning a bit of destructive investigation just now.

A few years ago I borrowed Guy's Disco to use for driver training and on the first day the power steering seized and I had to drive it home with no belts from Corby to Southampton luckily a mate was seeing a bloke from Northampton and she drove a LSE (A truck strong enough to tow me the 150miles home if needed and she'd be happy to help)

I drove the 200miles from Corby with only a bodged belt between the crank and water pump everything else was out at 10 pm following a RR in a disco with out lights and in the rain with no wipers and freezing cold I made home and the car was fine once the new pump was fitted.

My 90 has munched a few in its time.

Well I picked the car up from the garage tonight, and they had ignored my request to change the belt anyway.

So with me in a fuming mood I decided to give the belt swap a go myself.

Removed the old stretched belt without too much problem - largely from below !!

Took a look at the PAS pump, it spins freely, there is no play in the bearing -WTF ?

Did the garage mis-diagnose it, or did they decided to stiff me for a pump I didn't need, or even maybe a quick de-grease of the one that was already on there !!

I need to get another belt tomorrow, but I'm 100% with a new belt it will be as good as gold. I think I might just be £200 better off.

Wonder what the number of trading standards is, or RAC or whatever.

I 'kin hate garages. :angry:

Well I picked the car up from the garage tonight, and they had ignored my request to change the belt anyway.

So with me in a fuming mood I decided to give the belt swap a go myself.

Removed the old stretched belt without too much problem - largely from below !!

Took a look at the PAS pump, it spins freely, there is no play in the bearing -WTF ?

Did the garage mis-diagnose it, or did they decided to stiff me for a pump I didn't need, or even maybe a quick de-grease of the one that was already on there !!

I need to get another belt tomorrow, but I'm 100% with a new belt it will be as good as gold. I think I might just be £200 better off.

Wonder what the number of trading standards is, or RAC or whatever.

I 'kin hate garages. :angry:

Your right there all the same I will not trust anyone

the place I use is grate because I can turn up after work and help take gear boxes etc out until the small hour so I can trust him exactly and he is a mate which help a lot and he is the only place I know that will make stuff if its needed.