Help Please! - Replacing Front Wheel Bearings

I am replacing my front wheel hub bearings and I can't get them to sit properly. When I tighten up the large nut the outer bearing tightens up but the inner bearing is not tight and I can wobble the disk. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong??????

My MOT is in a few day! Help please!

Sorry, but the guesses are gonna cover some of the basic points - don't be insulted!

Is the stub axles in good shape?

Did you fit the inner bearing seal?

Is the inner bearing race installed/intact?

There should be no wobble even before you starting tightening the hub nuts.

throwing it completely out there - but you never know....

have you pushed the hub on far enough? Could be the hub oil seal isnt sitting on the raised lip at the back of the stub axle - might be the oil seal is the wrong one and it wont/cant push onto the raised lip, or a bit of the seal is catching the side of the lip stopping it sliding on. Have you thoroughly greased the stub axle and the lip at the back to aid pushing it on?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have replaced the inner and outer race as well as the bearing itself. Everything is in good (ish) condition and the everything is sitting where it shoud on the axel and in the hub.

The oils seal sounds like a posibility, if thats not far enough in it would push the hub out and stop the rear bearing from loading up.

Its a 1990 90.

The investigation continues...

Are the bearings the same size as the old ones (both inner and outer will be the same size as each other).

Depending on the axle suffix - you should have either 2 x STC4382, or 2 x RTC3429

Seal is either FTC2783, or FTC4785.

If you have tried to tighten the outer nut up without the hub assembly being fully flush, then it's possible you have damaged the lip of the seal, which will now leak. You should fit both bearing tracks, inner bearing race, hub seal (grease the seal land and stub axle, plus the lip of the seal), then push the hub assembly fully home, so that the seal is over the land and the rear bearing track is right back on the stub axle. Then grease and fit the outer bearing track over the end of the stub axle - push it against the track and put the thrust washer and then the first hub nut. If you put the whole assembly together and then try to fit it - you may cause the inner bearing and/or seal to bind against the back of the stub axle/seal land.

Les.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure its not the swivel bearings? I had a similar problem with new wheel bearings and discovered it was the swivel bearings.

You can check by jacking up the wheel with the issue and rocking 12 to 6 o'clock and then 9 to 3 o'clock.

If there is movement when 12 to 6, but not at 9 to 3, then it is likely to be the swivel bearings.

Jon