Fuel problem 200tdi

stobbie

Hi,

I have a problem with my 200tdi. It does not get enough diesel.

The fuel lift pump seemed to be faulty. I have replaced this one with a new one, but the problem has not been solved.

The old pump was fitted without the spacer, so it put the new one on, also without the spacer. This limits the travel of the manual lever to about half. It only pumps at the last inch. So I put the spacer in, now the manual lever is OK, but still no fuel when I start the engine.

So I filed off half of the spacer and put it in again, if I start the engine there is a tiny little bit of fuel coming.

Could it be that the cam has worn of the shaft or something?

I cannot think of anything to do now. I'm thinking of putting an electric pump after the mechanical one. Or should I take of the mechanical one and just use an electrical?

Do you think a fuel lift pump from a 110 v8 will be right for this job? this one: v8 pump at paddocks ?

Or does anyone have a better idea?

I think when you fitted it with the spacer it wasn't in position on the lobe. Now you lost half the spacer you need a new spacer, and fiddle it in until it sits right.

From the excellent Les 300tdi lift pump change thread:

Fit the pump in at the same angle as removing the old one - keep it high so that the foot of the pump goes on top of the cam. It's likely that the pump will not sit flush with the block face, as the cam lobe will be in the way and you will be pressing against the pump spring when you bolt it back on.

No...

If I use the spacer the cam won't touch the foot of the cam.

Without the spacer, the pump doesn't sit flush, as expected, and will compress the spring for a certain amount when tightened.

That seems to be OK....but there still is no fuel pressure....

You either fit the spacer or not - there's no modification between the two. Having to tighten against the spring is normal, unless you are lucky enough to have the cam peak 180 deg from the pump foot. To test the pump, disconnect the outlet pipe from it, disconnect the fuel solenoid wire, then crank the engine. If you get a quite powerful squirt of fuel from the pump, then the problem lies between the filter and the engine.

Les.

If that's the case, then the foot of the pump is too far away from the cam peak (only tapping it), so you would need to do away with any spacer that you have. Whatever pump you have - the foot of the pump should always bear on the cam - even at it's lowest point, so that It pumps fuel at the earliest opportunity.

Short foot = no spacer, long foot = spacer.

Compare old pump with new - that'll tell you what is what.

Les.

I have compared both pumps, they are the same.

without the spacer the foot of the pump touches the cam, the base of the pump is about half of an inch from the engine. I need to use the bolts to squeeze the pump to the engine....but....no fuel.

It looks like the cam is rounded off or something. I've put my finger in the hole and pushed the car backwards in fifht gear and it looks like there is no lobe on the cam???

not seen a 200tdi without the lift pump spacer block, mine needs the spacer.

what's the part numbers of the lift pumps you have ?

it should be ETC7869 for a 200Tdi bit more info here, common to the older diesel engines too

the 300Tdi lift pump is ERR5057 picture here

photo's of both ETC7869 & it's replacement STC1190, photo's 5th & 6th from top of page here

scroll down a bit further to see the 300tdi lift pump. I'm thinking you have a 300TDi pump instead.

hth:D