Front Chassis Crossmember and footwells

I have taken the engine out of the my 110 and whilst the chassis and bulkhead are in good condition I have found some rust in the passenger footwell, to a lesser extent drivers side and the front crossmember (the one directly beneath the rad). As I'm struggling to find a mobile welder in the local area I thought of trying to simplify the process. Rather than trying to patch the footwells and the crossmember is it worth getting (if available) a replacement crossmember and the footwells.

If the crossmember is available who is the best supplier? As I don't want to buy one from some like Britpart if it doesn't fit properly to start with wasting time and money. Is it a trip to those lovely people at T H Whites?

Any help appreciated

I have taken the engine out of the my 110 and whilst the chassis and bulkhead are in good condition I have found some rust in the passenger footwell, to a lesser extent drivers side and the front crossmember (the one directly beneath the rad). As I'm struggling to find a mobile welder in the local area I thought of trying to simplify the process. Rather than trying to patch the footwells and the crossmember is it worth getting (if available) a replacement crossmember and the footwells.

If the crossmember is available who is the best supplier? As I don't want to buy one from some like Britpart if it doesn't fit properly to start with wasting time and money. Is it a trip to those lovely people at T H Whites?

Any help appreciated

With regards to the cross member, I don't think it can be bought as a replacement, but a length of suitable box section will do the job just as effectively, if not better as the material will be thicker.

As regards the footwells, replacements will involve more work but may be a better job overall.

However, both of the above will require welding so you're still in the same predicament regarding finding someone to weld them in for you.

Are they rusty enough to warrant replacing/repairing? Do they have actual holes in them? If not, will they clean up and repaint?

Mark.

It may be cheaper and easier to buy a bulkhead off ebay (td5 one on now for £80), especially has you don't weld. if the footwells have gone you can bet the top corners are on the way. I've never seen a front crossmember for sale anywhere, is it really bad? if the damage is accessible after the engines refitted you could drive it to the nearest welders for repair, even if you have to remove the bumper/grill etc before they do the work.

andy

With regards to the cross member, I don't think it can be bought as a replacement, but a length of suitable box section will do the job just as effectively, if not better as the material will be thicker.

As regards the footwells, replacements will involve more work but may be a better job overall.

However, both of the above will require welding so you're still in the same predicament regarding finding someone to weld them in for you.

Are they rusty enough to warrant replacing/repairing? Do they have actual holes in them? If not, will they clean up and repaint?

Mark.

Hi Mark,

I did wonder as I have trawled a number of wen sites and as you say a suitable length of box section may be the way to go. Yep unfortunately the passeger footwell has a section (now cut out using my lovely 1mm cutting discs) that had gone through all the wat - just below the two screws that secure the footwell to the bulkhead!

But which ever way I go as you say I am still in the same perdicament of havoinving to find some one to weld them ohmy.gifrolleyes.gif

Looks like my next investment will be a welder!!

Thanks for yor input

It may be cheaper and easier to buy a bulkhead off ebay (td5 one on now for £80), especially has you don't weld. if the footwells have gone you can bet the top corners are on the way. I've never seen a front crossmember for sale anywhere, is it really bad? if the damage is accessible after the engines refitted you could drive it to the nearest welders for repair, even if you have to remove the bumper/grill etc before they do the work.

andy

Hi Andy

Yep had thought of the bulkhead route but I'm stuck with a catch 22 situation even if I could buy one at a sensible price the 110 is the only vehicle I have big enough to fit it in!

The crossmember isn't that bad and I'm sure can be effectively patched..but then I'm back to the other catch 22..finding some one to weld it.

Thanks for the idea

Cheers

Gavin

hi,

mine cost £65 to send via courier and came off a 2005 model.

Any car repair garage will weld it for you, and to remove the bumper would take 20 minutes.

andy

Ok Andy I think that might be the way to go. So just to confirm that a TD5 bulk head WILL fit my '85 110 hard top? I have found one with a seat box as well. It's alot further than I wanted to travel (south Yorkshire!blink.gif ) but my seat box will need some attention so I will kill 3 birds with one stone as I can visit a mate on the way who's back from Oz!

Next question is how much work is involved with doing the bulkhead, can I leave the hard top on etc?

Thanks

P.S. not showing the link for the item in case some one thinks it's a good idea too! smile.gif

Pity your no closer as I couild do all the welding for you mellow.gif , if you waht some lads bring me to weld you would think I was Paul Daniels hysterical.gif

John

john,

thanks for the offer! Hopefully Blizz's (my 110) isn't bad enough to need magic welders laugh.gif

Cheers

Gavin