Gaskets vs sealant

sotal

I've got a few gaskets to replace at the moment, the cost of them isn't alot but I've been told not to bother and use RTV sealant instead.

What would you recommend? Is there any bits where one has the advantage over the other? Pros/cons?

Thanks

Generally if it shows a gasket you would be advised to use one. The various RTV or specified sealants are very good in those applications where used as oe.

As an example, my RRC is an 86 3.5. The manuals show a cork/rubber gasket for the sump to block joint. The later RRC V8 covered by the Rave disc shows just sealant. Having tried it with just sealant - for about 4 days! - it now has the correct gasket.

Some areas require the gasket as a spacer. The V8 oil pump has a thin paper gasket. If you leave the gasket out the pump gears will be nipped up by the cover.

You'll tend to find that any but the tiniest amount of sealant is squeezed out either side of the joint. You can trim off the outer bit but the internal bead floats around inside. In an axle, unlikely to be a problem but I've seen engines seize because the oil pickup pipe is blocked by strings of RTV after a sump has been replaced.

One of the main places a 300 leaks is usually from the sump - mine needs doing at 10500 miles from new.

I hate RTV - its not all that reliable and its usually a PITA to deal with - how long does it take to remove and refit a diff fitted with a gasket compared to one of the new ones stuck in with RTV for example, and which is more likely to leak....

The manufacturers love it because it's easier to build vehicles with, you need one gloop gun instead of hundreds of gaskets, which is different from it being the best thing to seal joints with IMHO

It's not really a question of which is best, there are too many variables. As said, using the wrong thing can upset clearances etc.

There are exceptions when one may be substituted for the other, but you asked a general question. So without being specific the advice is.

If a manufacturer specifies a gasket...use a gasket.

If they specify a sealant... use a sealant.

If they specify a sealant... use the right one, and use it sparingly.