Offered a Freelander with a headgasket problem

Tetsu0san

Hi all

I have been offered a first generation Freelander and I know its had the head gasket go and it needs some work. I have been advised that the head will need skimming and that should do the trick (as well as replace the gasket). I have done a little investigation and it seems that the early ones are prone to such a problem so I just wanted to see if anyone has any advice for me.

I have been offered it for about £450 and I don't know any more than what I have just said about the car. I don't know the age and I don't know the mileage but I do know it's a diesel engine. A BMC engine?

I think that £450 is maybe a little steep as I don't think that working examples go for too much more than this if they are an early model. I already have a 300Tdi Disco so this would just be a little run about for my wife (who is also not fussed as she has a Citroen Xsara Picasso) but I don't know if it's really worth the hassle.

Any advise or opinions will be greatly received.

Cheers

the engine is the rover l series and its far from common for the headgasket to go on these

oil leaks from everywhere is normal but normally a very reliable old lump

but you can pick up a l series very cheap as was used in the rover 220/420/620 diesel (just make sure you get the one from a intercooled car as the non intercooled ones are way down on power etc as pump and turbo is different) so as long as the rest of the car is in very good nick then it could be worth a punt

rob

the engine is the rover l series and its far from common for the headgasket to go on these

oil leaks from everywhere is normal but normally a very reliable old lump

but you can pick up a l series very cheap as was used in the rover 220/420/620 diesel (just make sure you get the one from a intercooled car as the non intercooled ones are way down on power etc as pump and turbo is different) so as long as the rest of the car is in very good nick then it could be worth a punt

rob

The diesel ones are a completely different animal, no Head Gasket problems. The only common problems are the pulley coming of the High Pressure pumps. I agree about the oil leaks tho, mine was like the Exxon Valdise, lol.

I had one with 186K miles on it and it was sound as a pound. They're a little unrefined, but reliable and cheap to fix. at £450 I would jump on it, in fact where did you see it? lol

So I take it that if it's not a common thing with them, then I was told the wrong information about these cars. I am very used to leaks as I have a 300Tdi Disco so that's not a problem, but in my experience a head gasket is rarely just that. There are usually other issues that either caused it, or are as a result of it.

I will see if I can get him down on price (or at the very least find out a little more about it) and will keep you guys informed if I do decide to take the plunge.

However, if I decide not to go for it then I can always pass on the details... ;)