Dodgy garage - disco dumped its oil on M25

Peter

Advice needed:

Got a club member whose Disco decided to drop its entire oil from its engine on the motorway (M25).

It had just been for a full service. 2 days and 60 miles after the service.

Anyway the garage reckon its the Turbo return oil pipe - even at full temperature and doing 70mph, how much oil would come out if that split ?

Yeah second that......at 70mph the engine will be doing about 2500-3000rpm so oil flow will be high.....there is on avarage 7ltrs of engine oil so it would only take 5-10seconds to empty out....if it had been leaking for a few miles then he wouldnt have known about it until the oil light came on.

Would this be a Disco II TD5 ?

I don't know what the flow rate is - I would have said possibly longer than that - but 7L is not very much when it's departing at high speed and it would certainly be a matter of minutes at most before you were sucking air into the oil pickup which tanking along on a motorway would lead to oil light/seize/bang fairly rapidly.

This irritates me slightly, in what way is the garage dodgy?

I service vehicles and very occasionally, a vehicle will come back a day or a week later with a completely unrelated problem, that is supposedly MY FAULT because i serviced it last week. A turbo return pipe is not a serviceable item, not is it touched in any way during a service. It is very unfortunate that it went, but if this is the case, it's just bad luck.

On the other hand, if a filter or sump bung has been left loose, I would get a second opinion, then confront the garage as thats poor workmanship.

What went wrong will affect how you deal with the garage, all im saying is don't go in guns blazing!

Roland

I have dealt with some bad garages and worked for a bad main dealers very briefly but you can only repair what was broken at the time of service. Untill we know the full facts behind this story I simpathise whith the owner of the Disco. We mechanics get blamed for a lot of unrelated problems. At 1600 we sent a newly repaired bus out on the road By 1615 the driver had torn all the side panels off from front to back wheel arches on a barier outside Asda. The paint was still wet in places and it was our fault. :angry2: Aparantly if we had repaired it faster the driver wouldnt have had to rush to keep to time. :hysterical:

Just to add to my last coments. I took a car into a local garage to be checked out for an intermitant fault. The owners were left in town to kill time. My boss put a chalk mark on the tyre and on the floor of the car park. On return later that day they said they found a bad conection on one of the ECU plugs and charged for half a days labour. On checking the car we found the chalk marks perfectly lined up as it was left. They said they had proved the fault dy road testing the car. The garage lost all future work from one of the big roadside recovery groups that day and we got the bill canceled. £35 an hour for nothing stinks. As a mater of course we had the car recovered to a main dealers in the owners own area who found the fault via there diagnostics and it wasnt any thing to do with the ECU. :huh: