Locker on a ‘turned’ diff

Tom.H

Er...... turning LR diffs generally isnt a clever idea, as the holes in the casting that feed oil to the diff nose bearing are then at the bottom rather than at the top where they can collect oil to feed to the bearings. End result is that the diff nose bearings run dry and the diff seizes. A guy i knew used to run turned diffs in a rear engined safari racer, and used to go through diffs like they were going out of fashion!

Is there no other way round it then running turned diffs?

Jon

Er...... turning LR diffs generally isnt a clever idea, as the holes in the casting that feed oil to the diff nose bearing are then at the bottom rather than at the top where they can collect oil to feed to the bearings. End result is that the diff nose bearings run dry and the diff seizes. A guy i knew used to run turned diffs in a rear engined safari racer, and used to go through diffs like they were going out of fashion!

Is there no other way round it then running turned diffs?

Jon

My personal experience with my portalled rover diffs is exactly opposite. In that the pinion bearings get too much oil, and even with a slinger disc behind the pinion seal the seal gets overwhelmed and weeps oil. I gave up fitting newseals all the time and just put up with the oil stains on my grass and dirt driveway. I put it down to the shape of the crownwheel teeth on the coastside acting like scoops wheras on the drive side as in normal rotation the scooping action is less efficient. An upside down rear diff as in my case for portal use still drives on the normal stronger "drive" side of the teeth when refering to the rear diff wheras a flipped rear diff for rear engined application runs on the weaker"coast" side. Aside from the crownwheel and pinion being 30% weaker, the drive thrust loads up the smaller outer pinion bearing instead of the larger inner bearing, which may partially account for the seized bearings mentioned.The front diff is the opposite problem. Standard front diffs aside from the later reverse cut P38's etc are just rear diffs and drive on the wrong(coast) side of the teeth anyway.They generally work ok mainly because on vehicles with selective 4 wheel drive they are only working for a small percentage of the time, and even on constant 4 wheel drive vehicles the tractive effort required of the front end rarely exceeds 30% of what is required of the rear diff. In situations where the tractive effort required of the front dff is higher than required of the rear diff, such as when reversing out of a ditch or up a steep hill the front diff is now running on the correct(stronger) side of the teeth.So when flipping standard diffs for rear engine application you are in effect weakening the rear diff and strengthening the front diff by 30% and probably overstressing the outer pinion bearing on the rear diff as well.There are aftermarket 4.7 and 4.1 reverse cut crownwheel and pinion sets available to address these issues should the standardequipment prove inadequate for your application. And yes, ARB, Maxidrive and McNamara lockers work equally as well on flipped diffs. By now you are probably thinking this bloke has got too much time on his hands and should get out more. So I will do just that and bugger off for now.

Bill.

By now you are probably thinking this bloke has got too much time on his hands and should get out more. So I will do just that and bugger off for now.

Bill.

:rofl: Coffee over keyboard :lol:

Good answer though, hadn't really thought about bearing loadings just "wot I eard somewhere".