Any diesel engineers on here?

mike4444244

Hi

1993 Defender 200TDi

Went to change my cambelt today (thank god) and when we took the timing cover off about 2" depth of diesel came out :angry: on removal of the FIP its obviously leaking from the seal behind where the pulley sits (clear? :lol: )

So... Is this pump fubared? Can I replace this seal myself? How much roughly is a pump recon going to cost me? Is there anyone on here who can do it for me? What else do I need to do, apart from burn the whole effing thing as it has now had exactly double its value spent on it :angry:

Mike.... off for a pint of Gin!

Mike , if you are confident enough to carry out the job its simple ,

It can be done in situ without removing the FIP , You will have to lock the pump shaft by removing the locking plate on the side of the pump and screwing the bolt back in to secure the shaft, remove the pulley , Get a sharp narrow centre punch or a panel pin and peirce the seal , Screw a self tapping screw into the pierced hole and extractthe seal with pliers ,

Make sure there is no surface rust on the shaft ,then simply fit the new seal . The rest is a reverse of what you have done .

The seal is about £4