200tdi strange sound and rough idle

Hi there

First of all sorry my poor English

I recently replaced the timing belt incl tensioner on my 200tdi defender. I realise now i did a small mistake. I didn't slacken the three injection pump pulley retaining bolts. But when i check the timing now by setting the flywheel on the mark and inserting a 9,5mm drill into the pulley of the injection pump, i see no problem.

The reason for my worry is the engine is running a litle rough on idle. Not much but more than normal. Reason number two: when driving on the road down hill with only a little throttle, the engine give a strange sound.... like "doc doc doc" (old fishing boat :blink: ) but other than that it starts well, pulls like it should do and no smooke

Any idea of my problem? Do i need to redo my timingbelt fitting, can this be the problem or can other issues cause this problem?

Best regards

Tazzman(from Denmark)

you can reset the timing without stripping the timing case down, just remove the small circular plate that has 3 screws in front of the injection pump pulley,

the noise could be a dead injector, you can test for this with the engine running & slacken the pipe nut to each injector in turn to identify the problem injector, you will hear the engine sound change.

Hi Western

I appriciate your reply

I did a check of the timing by remove the circular plate in front of the injectionpump, and it shows a perfect timing (the mark on flywheel fit with the insert of a 9,5mm drill into the pulley of injectionpump)so i guess this should be ok.

A freind of my also said it could be a dead injector, so i got my injectors renewed with new nozzle tips, so they are now in good shape, perfect spray pattern, but still the vibration and the doc doc sound.....

Br

Tazzman

You can't rest the timing by just removing the round cover - check or adjust pump timing in relation to the crank position only. If this occurred immediately after the belt change, then possibly a timing issue. If the cam sprocket was one tooth out retarded, then this may give the symptoms you describe, although I would expect the effect on the engine to be more dramatic than you sedcribe (gutless - especially when cold, grey smoke from cold too, which clears as the engine warms up). Once you had fitted the new belt - did you rotate the crank 2-turns clockwise and re-check the timing marks?

Les.

Hi

Valveclerance checked and ok. No change in sound and vibration.

And to you ejparrott, good quistion. I don't know. The case is that i replace my old 2,5td enginge with this 200tdi. To take no risk I replaced the belt before installing the engine, so if it was there or not before i really don't know.

I am thinking of a blown headgasket, but will this only make the doc doc sound under light throttle and will it normally not cause a smoke and lack of power problems??

Best regards

Tazzman

Hi Les Henson

I did rotate the crank 2 turns and did the check again with the belt tentioner and no problem. But still, I did not slacken the bolts on the pump pulley when i did the check. But my tought was: Since i didn't lock the flywhell(i did not have the tool for this) the only pulley which was locked was the pump and so the belttentioner should be able to absorbe any sclaking in the belt. But fact is, i didn't do it according to the book.

Reason i did not strip down the beltcover waterpump etc to do a recheck of the belt installation yet, is the same as you mention Henson, I would espect bigger problems if it is a tooth problem on the cam wheel. And the engine start imidiatly you turn the key... would that happen if the cam was a hole tooth out of position..

Tazzman

A litle new info.

If I slacken the injection pipe nut on each injector(one by one ofcause) I can here a big change on the engine on cylinder 3 and 4, but on 1 and 2 there is a big change. Broken headgasket between 1 and 2? Is this possible?

There are no pressure in cooling system(unnormal presure), no water or olie consumption.

Br

Tazzman

That's a possibility (if I understand your English correctly :) )

A blown head gasket between neighbouring cylinders will 'chuff' out of the inlet manifold. No oil in water, no cooling system pressurisation, etc. 200TDi engines usually do this between 3+4, but that doesn't mean that this isn't your problem though. Unfortunately - the only way to tell is to either get a compression test, or take the head off :(

Les.

Hi Les

I know... is just.. you know, not bad enough to make me do this job right away. I would expect bigger problems with a blown gasket. Starts well and normal power does not, with my little knowledge, match with a broken headgasket (specially not between two cylinders with high compression)

But i don't know. Maybe i just psychic.

I really appriciat your effort trying to understand both my english and my problem :rolleyes:

Tazzman