I’ve got a rattle

1991 Defender 90, although I had an identical rattle on a S111 for 2 years before I sold it for the Defender, so I guess it’s a Landy trait or me !!

The rattle occurs for a few seconds when moving if the engine nearly labours at low revs, dropping down a gear stops the rattle. I really should have dropped a gear before the rattle happens but sometimes when I’m day dreaming……. The rattle is somewhere in front, a solid sound (not panels), best describes as a large washer rattling between two large nuts. I’ve checked exhaust, props and pushed/pulled most things underneath and in the engine bay.

Assuming its not a built in innovative warning to change gear any ideas where else to look or do I just live with it?

1991 Defender 90, although I had an identical rattle on a S111 for 2 years before I sold it for the Defender, so I guess it’s a Landy trait or me !!

The rattle occurs for a few seconds when moving if the engine nearly labours at low revs, dropping down a gear stops the rattle. I really should have dropped a gear before the rattle happens but sometimes when I’m day dreaming……. The rattle is somewhere in front, a solid sound (not panels), best describes as a large washer rattling between two large nuts. I’ve checked exhaust, props and pushed/pulled most things underneath and in the engine bay.

Assuming its not a built in innovative warning to change gear any ideas where else to look or do I just live with it?

Check if the exhaust is too close to solid metal somewhere.

I had a similar rattle at low rpm, that could be avoided by sticking to low gears and keeping the rpm above 1500. It was the rearmost muffler nearly touching the chassis.

Hmm the puzzling thing being the identical but worse rattle in the S111. Now having the same in the 90 made me think it was inherent to engine, drive train wear etc. I was waiting for a bit to fall off the S111 so I’d at least know what it had been, but it out lasted me. Guess I’ll just have to wait for the 90 to cure itself with offending bit falling off, I may get lucky and find it when I’m fiddling around.

And here’s me thinking I was the only one with a rattle…… :D

I've just cured 2 rattles, one in the back, turned out to be the rear door stay bolts, rusty streaks on the inside of the door was the giveaway,this only took 21/2 years to track down. The other was an irritating dry sweaky rattle from the dashboard somewhere. Again after about 2 years I tracked this down. Had all the dash off etc, wd40, no could't find it. It only happened over 50mph, or going round a roundabout. it turned out to be broken glass from a smashed side window, wedged down in the narrow channel at the top of the dash next to the windscreen, and as it was dry it used to chaf and rubb, on roundabouts and over 50 the air pressure on the screen and the base of the screen caused it to push backwards and trap the glass. So I hooked it all out with a knife, then poured a bit of clean oil down the channel. Ah BLISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

i have a simillar metallic rattle at very low rpm / labouring the engine - mines a 300tdi.

i THINK its the front wing panel flexing at the bottom where one of the supports snapped when i was refitting the wing after bashing it back in to shape doing some bodywork repair. :unsure:

But it could also be the way the front flexi pipe is designed and causing the ribs to rattle when heavily flexed from teh engine vibrating about.

Could also be the airbox rattling, as the little rubber feet it sits on where it attached to the side of the engine are a bit past their best.

Maybe the front grill surround panel, as thats been chopped about to fit my winch back close to the radiator - so its lost a bit of structural rigidity.

tbh it could be anything, far too many things up front that are badly built on a defender.

• 3 weeks later...

Well success as far as the Defender rattle is concerned. A deformed sprung catch on the air filter housing allowed the 2 halves to rattle against each other. 2 minutes with a pair of pliers and I’m running in stealth mode :huh: . As if, but its one less.