LHD and RHD. Much difference in parts availability when overseas?

What the diff between a LHD and a RHD from a parts point of view.

Would i find it difficult to source anything overseas when on an extended trip?

Components that are likely to fail that is.

I don't need anything too detailed just items that i need to be aware of,, as likely i'll end up with a RHD defender.

Thanks

@ q-rover. thats pretty much the list i got. Many thanks.

@ headhunter. you mustn't forget that when your upsidedown the compass is already the other way up so it points the right way anyhow. hehe

(on a more serious note you are in fact correct and I would actully need a southern hemi compass, already have one :P from an aussie camping store )

@ mmgemini. I wasn't thinking of just anycomponents. I was thinking of allcomponents and anythat may be different if they broke. My intention is to know what all the parts are and if there are any variations that could cause issues when trying to replace them. Iv'e no intention of breaking any parts at all, but it will likely happen. Most of my LR will (should) be genuine parts where its considered sensible to stay on genuine parts that is. I'm not about to swap something out with a fancy replacement which i couldn't get in anywhere but the UK.

I think thats it for this thread. I'm pretty sure my search on the parts sites found everything LHD and you've all basically confirmed that. Cheers all. :i-m_so_happy:

This is probably stating the obvious, but...

wipers - arms only, and not mission critical

lights - Only the headlight lenses, and again not critical as you can bodge all sorts if you just need to see in the dark.

steering - LR steering box sector shafts can break with age/abuse/big tyres, I don't know if they're handed but the boxes certainly are. A D2 box is stronger but not a straight swap. Even a sector shaft is a bit of a lump to carry on the offchance, and would you really take your steering box apart in the middle of nowhere when you can lash something up instead. TRE's you may want spares, steering bars I'd just fit HD ones, they won't break and even if you bend them you can bend them back again.

dashboard panels/ components - Nothing mission critical here, if you ignore fit & finish then you can bodge any locally available switch to perform any function. Or carry a spare 25A DPDT on/off/on switch which will cover most things.

handbrake lever/cables - Again not mission critical, most places in the world have rocks or logs available.

wiring harness - May be critical in places, but wire is wire and can be replaced with almost anything found locally, or again carry a small reel of 2mmsq in a bright colour.

interior trim - Is for pansies ;)