Scrapiron spring ratings?

Eightpot

Does anyone have any info on the spring ratings for scrapiron springs? - can't find them published anywhere...

I have a set I want to replace for something else as the ride is to bouncy and soft, and generally get the orange cr*p off my truck (bought it with em on) - but without knowing the rating it's difficult knowing where to go from here - there is a tag on the springs which reads SR7 which I would think is the spring type. Any ideas?

To get an idea it maybe worth taking one of the springs out and measuring its free legnth and the diameter of the coil wire, that way you will be able to find another make with similar dimentions and see what spring rates they maybe......Its not fool proof but it is a starting point.

Dave.

I haven't been able to get axle weights as there isn't a suitable weighbridge in the area, but I did beg a favour and drove on to the scales at the local council depot where they weigh the rubbish trucks - the weight with me in it, half a tank of fuel and a couple of loaded wolf boxes was 2200Kg - not bad as it's already fitted out with the beds/lockers/kitchen etc.

I calculate that I will load another 450Kg on this on our trip bringing total weight up to about 2650Kg.

Reading through archives I'm thinking of going along the lines of the later 110 purple/brown rears with helper springs and HD fronts.

Would be very useful to find out the ratings on the scorpion springs though to judge if it will make enough difference - not sure taking them off and measuring the free length and diameter will be of much use in reality?

I f you measure free length, diameter and number of coils you should be able to compare them directly with other springs in the tech archive.

The place where you weighed the whole truck - go back and only park one end on the "scales" and see what it says. :)

the weight with me in it, half a tank of fuel and a couple of loaded wolf boxes was 2200Kg - not bad as it's already fitted out with the beds/lockers/kitchen etc.

I calculate that I will load another 450Kg on this on our trip bringing total weight up to about 2650Kg.

Reading through archives I'm thinking of going along the lines of the later 110 purple/brown rears with helper springs and HD fronts.

Wow -2200KG - thats pretty light, my old Disco with me in it weighed 2050KG (yes - I know - i'm fatter than you!)

If your all-up weight is under 3000KG i'd look at OEM H/D 110 springs, as the 110 has a gross weight of 3050KG (well my old 110 commercial did)

Don't forget that 110 rear springs are a larger diameter than 100"/90" landrovers, so be sure you have 110 rear spring seats on your wagon...

:unsure: Ring them up and ask them :blink: ?????!!!!???!!!

..ring who - Scorpion don't exist :huh:

I have contacted extreme4x4 who seem to be the reincarnation but they couldn't tell me/know/give a f*ck.

no probs, only posted the question in case someone had the data to hand, don't want to start yet another spring thread which can ultimately only be resolved by trial and error.