Cleaning Canvas?

Quagmire

Although i clean my canvas on the outside every so often, i have never cleaned it on the inside. As the weather is cooling down and getting more damp i have this lovely white fluff growing in the cab :blink: :

Mouldycanvas.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to cleanoff/kill this stuff?

I would take it off and jet wash it clean, you may want to consder using a dilute solution of bleach to scrub it with(kills the mould) too but make sure you wash it off thoroughly to prevent bleaching!

Afterwards its worth treating it with a waterproofing agent such as fabsil.

Thanks for all the replies- seeing as i have access to Fabsil and some bleach i'll give that a go, if that doesnt work out too well then i'll give the autoglym stuff a go :rolleyes:

If you see a green 90 with a white ragtop you'll know i went a bit heavy on the bleach! haha! :ph34r:

I would avoid pressure washing a canvas like the plague, especially if you already have the start of some mould/rot.It can easily blow holes or open up the weave.

Scrub gently with some dilute mild detergent such as washing liquid then rinse. Avoid concentrated bleach!

Once dry use Fabsil if you have it anyway or Thompsons water proofing solution (or equivalent) also works well and is far cheaper ;)

There are plenty of cleaners for canvas. Get yourself to a large outdoor/camping supplier or mail order some. The Marine places also do stuff for sails and the like. Some of it is better than others but soap flakes and water works pretty well. A bit of hard work though. Don't use the pressure washer unless you're being really carefull!!! on a very wide spray.

I've been told a hand held steam cleaner works. QVC style. kills the fungus. Also a biocide like Jays Fluid might work.

I used a hosepipe and a brush and plenty of elbow grease on a hot day on ours.

The mould was shifted with one of the household bathroom mould sprays. Worked well.

Be very careful that you don't wash out the canvas dye. Ours turned a much lighter colour afterwards.

Fabsil worked a treat. I bought a gallon off a supplier on Amazon. Handy for the OzTent too when needed.

Spoke to Exmoor Trim afterwards and they do not recommend any cleaners on the canvas. Just water and a sponge.