Alternator has plug and ring capacity!?

Hi - I have replaced my old Defender TD engine with a Discovery 200TDI and finally it is running ok.

One job left to do is to wire the 200TDI alternator to the existing wiring.

The existing wiring still has the TD 3 pin plug that was simply plugged in the back of the old alternator.

Can anyone advise on where each wire goes assuming I cut the plug off and wire it to the 200TDI alternator terminals.

Thanks.

Alan

The 200TDi alternator has ring connectors - M6 thread (10mm nut), and M5 thread (8mm nut). Two thick brown wires go to the larger of the two.

Les. :)

Thanks for the information, any idea where the smaller 3rd wire goes. Hopefully I can try this later today. Alan

Hi - I have replaced my old Defender TD engine with a Discovery 200TDI and finally it is running ok.

One job left to do is to wire the 200TDI alternator to the existing wiring.

The existing wiring still has the TD 3 pin plug that was simply plugged in the back of the old alternator.

Can anyone advise on where each wire goes assuming I cut the plug off and wire it to the 200TDI alternator terminals.

Thanks.

Alan

If there are 2 big wires in the plug, join them together and connect to the large bolt on ur new alt. Thin wire goes to smaller (warning light term), do not connect either to the W term.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone

I have just spent the last ten minutes thinking I needed to convert my engine loom back to 3 pin plug from RIng (having just gone the other way!) when I noticed my new alternator from Woods seems to have everything!

On Ring connection the brown yellow goes to a D+ terminal and then the two big browns go together on the B+ terminal from the Battery? On the plug terminal there are three pins...

The alternator has 3 pin connections AND a B+, D+ and W+ so presumably I can stick with Ring connections?!

Woods were very fast and helpful if that helps anyone!

Thanks

Andy

There are a few alternators that have both and they are wired in parallel so you can use either set of connections.

I always buy alternators and spares from Woods these days, they have an amazing stock holding both of complete alternators and the spare parts for them.

Hi

If you were to do this in reverse does that mean that of the three pins on the older alternator that the small wire must go to the smaller plug and the two large connections are interchangeable?

Many thanks

Andy

2 large cables are connected to one or both large spade terminals, small brown/yellow wire to small spade terminal.

Edited by western
2 threads same subject merged