Voltage Regulator

CJRH

Assuming you mean the instrument regulator, they do fail.

It should be earthed and the voltage you get out is a square wave, duty cycle varies, so you really need a lightly damped analogue meter to get a meaningful reading. A digital meter will be all over the place.

If its the regulator that feeds the fuel/temp guages, Ive just rewired my series 1 (with Series 3 engine and instruments) and have successully used the S3 regulator on the back of the speedo. I believe it should put out about 10volts to the guages and they are fussy about being earthed well. Anyroadup have a look at this post I put on the OLLR forum.

http://ollr.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=13551

Paul

That’ll be it, the instrument regulator, the one that connects to the petrol and temperature gauge. My multi meter is a digital Draper one, not very fancy but does the job, I’m not getting any voltage at all out of the regulator so I guess it has given up the ghost.

Chris

That’ll be it, the instrument regulator, the one that connects to the petrol and temperature gauge. My multi meter is a digital Draper one, not very fancy but does the job, I’m not getting any voltage at all out of the regulator so I guess it has given up the ghost.

Chris

i'VE HAD FUN W(damb caps lock) with this, bought a replacement solidstate one which made the temp gauge read too high!

Sp I took the lucas one apart and had a looksee.

They are fixable, but it is finiky work. Open the case and you'll see the bimetalic strip and contact that works the regulator.

on the backplate there is an asjuster (a little spike with a flat end) covered in varnish, this allows you to set the output, once reassembled.

A digital meter won't show an accurate output but will show if it works, it will bounce between 14 v and 0v, that's normal.

MAKE SURE TO EARTH THE CASE as the case is the 3rd terminal.

Hook it all up, connect the gauges and adjust until happy with the value on the gauge.

Gottago - school run.

G.

You can make a solid-state one using an LM317 or similar voltage regulator.

LM317 is adjustable (you'll need to solder in a few components to make the circuit)

78nn fixed regulators come in various voltages - 7805 is 5v, 7812 is 12v, etc. you may find one that works but 10v supply is not commonly used in electronics.

There are loads of others out there if you look on RS/Farnell/CPC, or you can buy them ready-wired from eBay such as item #120481181906

lm317board.JPG