Front Spot Lamps, Concensus on fitting?

minivin

Just to possibly get a resource together on how people have fitted their spotlamps, this is how I have done mine.

I brought a pair of Wipac 100Watt 8" Dia. lamps at Sodbury as I have been thinking of fitting some of these since seeing an article on Motorsport Fire and Incident Support's (MFIS) 88 and 109 that they had in LRW Jan 2005, a nice pair of white and yellow Series that had been kitted out for support of motoring events such as Hill Climbs, Sprints et cetera.

Their 88 had a pair of Wipacs on that were mounted on a plate between the wings, being of the non-A-Bar and non-Bullbar persuasion I liked the idea of how to mount the spots without requireing such ironwork on the front.

DSCF1963.jpg

I got onto my friend (Phil Primmer; West Country Sidecars) who dug some 1"x1" right angle that was 2mm thickness and some 3/16" plate. I made a pair of end plates that were about 1 1/4" x 3" long with a M8 clearance hole each end 1" returned from each edge, and then cut the angle iron such that the overall length of the item would be 31 1/8" long, this being what my vehicle measures (bet others don't!).

Phil then MIG-ed the three bits together, and then with a penny washer that was about 2" OD 1/2" ID I cut it in half, and then set the two pieces so that they were located along their centre lines 8" in from the edges ie one located 8" in from port, the other located 8" in from starboard.

The two were then MIG-ed onto the right angle so that they were flat with the top of the right angle, this had to be done as the bases of the Wipacs are about 2" diameter with a M12ish mounting stud, alternative was 2" angle iron or 2" strip that would have needed to be rather thick and rather ugly.

The holes for the lamps were then filed out so that they were no longer half-moons but totally round by removing material from the right angle portions, and it now looks as such:

DSCF1959.jpg

I've mounted them high as they need to clear my 525 Superwinch that I will be fitting in the future, which therefore meant that it needed to be 8" above the bumper to clear the engagement lever.

This is a view showing the room behind and how they are level with the front of the wings:

DSCF1960.jpg

Anyone who's thinking of doing the same on a Series but without a winch, this is how they look when above the number plate, but level with the headlights:

DSCF1961.jpg

How have other people done it on their Defender's, Disco's et cetera and any good or bad parts?

(1) 100 watt spots are illegal to use on the highway.

(2) they will restrict the airflow to the radiator which will cause problems at altitude

(3) what happened to "original" army spec? ;)

(4) ever thought of writing an anoracks guide for one of the mags?

GM who has highjacked Hillbillies computer again!

Today computers..... Tomorrow the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) 100 watt spots are illegal to use on the highway.

(2) they will restrict the airflow to the radiator which will cause problems at altitude

(3) what happened to "original" army spec? ;)

(4) ever thought of writing an anoracks guide for one of the mags?

GM who has highjacked Hillbillies computer again!

Today computers..... Tomorrow the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) Can't be fussed to travel 25 miles to my friend with the Guv. vehicle regulations, but if they are not wired for road use then it is not a problem

2) one only has a 4" sq area blocking the rad, and the speeds needed to travel at, approximately 40mph+ that is required to cause issues with air flow, is nothing to consider when travelling at 10mph offroad with an air gap between the lights and grill which allows air to flow around them :P

3) the lights are pap when night-laning ;)

4) I thought you were the one with the flat cap :D

You should have said - I've got a bracket just like that one in the shed you could have had, from when I used to have spots on mine....

Jon

I like making bits :D

P.S your lights are still on upsidedown!

:P

If you have spot lights on you defender do you have to have them on individual switch for them to be legal on the road?

I read some where that you have to put a cover on the spotlights when you are driving on the road is this true?

Tom

On my 110, as it's fitted with a Husky winch bumper [genuine original type] for my 55w driving lights I used 2 of the redundant bolt holes where a 'A' bar used to be fitted [by a previous owner of the winch/bumper] also have 2 fog lights fitted below the headlights.

110front.jpg

If you have spot lights on you defender do you have to have them on individual switch for them to be legal on the road?

I read some where that you have to put a cover on the spotlights when you are driving on the road is this true?

Tom

NOT true, 100 watt lights are NOT UK road legal, 55watt lights are & can be used on road to supplement the normal main beam headlights, these can be wired/switched in 2 ways,

1. via a relay & operated by the main beam switch [as mine are]

2. by a completely seperate switch so you can switch them on/off when needed.

I hope you made a full scale drawing, converted it to solid works, and did a full stress analysis on it 1st :P

Nige

I think my bosses (he of 20 years aircraft design experience) comment to 1" right angle was "yeah plenty strong enough, you could hang a donkey off it" ;)

NOT true, 100 watt lights are NOT UK road legal, 55watt lights are & can be used on road to supplement the normal main beam headlights, these can be wired/switched in 2 ways,

1. via a relay & operated by the main beam switch [as mine are]

2. by a completely seperate switch so you can switch them on/off when needed.

So if I had two 100 watt lights on a separate switch, I would be able to drive on the road with out a cover on them ( I know you cant use them on road)

Tom

So if I had two 100 watt lights on a separate switch, I would be able to drive on the road without a cover on them ( I know you cant use them on road)

Tom

Yep, :D but who going to know there's 100w bulbs in there, probably no-one unless they read this. :lol:

I've just spent the past half hour trying to find the Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) regs on the net and have failed, would be nice to find it in writing stating what is legal and what is not :)

I think my bosses (he of 20 years aircraft design experience) comment to 1" right angle was "yeah plenty strong enough, you could hang a donkey off it" ;)

IMHO, you will find that the natural frequency (of vibration) is too low.

We have plenty of wild donkeys here in Aus, but the roos would destroy it first.

IMHO, you will find that the natural frequency (of vibration) is too low.

We have plenty of wild donkeys here in Aus, but the roos would destroy it first.

Ah, but the Moment of Inertia of the Bending Moment will turn your Roo's Gay :P

yeah, but all I could find is a limit on how far they could be from the edge of the vehicle, nothing about a limit on how many watts a lamp is allowed to be :) still searching

IIRC the regs only state minimum wattage not maximum

Only 'Obiglatory' lights have wattage limits i.e. sidelights,taillights,indicators,headlights all other lights come under optional lights, IIRC the regs only state minimum wattage not maximum

Bit of a fluffy area then, would be nice to pin something down :) I've just created a new topic with the spot lamo posts in it ;) this one is now the regs and general topic :D