injector pump problem

rusty_wingnut

My mate has made a right tit of himself, he was removing the timing chest off his 200tdi defender engine, and cleverly undid the big nut on the end of the injector pump rather than the three bolts to remove the pulley.

He retimed the engine and crank and cam are perfect, so it points to the fact the injector pump is wrong. Does anybody know how to get the steel flange :unsure: that goes onto the injector pump's taper in the correct position? I thought there was a keyway the same as a 2.5NA pump but sadly not, according to my mate. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

That'll teach the silly sod not to follow Uncle Les' guide :rolleyes:

My mate has made a right tit of himself, he was removing the timing chest off his 200tdi defender engine, and cleverly undid the big nut on the end of the injector pump rather than the three bolts to remove the pulley.

He retimed the engine and crank and cam are perfect, so it points to the fact the injector pump is wrong. Does anybody know how to get the steel flange :unsure: that goes onto the injector pump's taper in the correct position? I thought there was a keyway the same as a 2.5NA pump but sadly not, according to my mate. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

That'll teach the silly sod not to follow Uncle Les' guide :rolleyes:

I belive you need some sort of gauge that fits at the back of the pump, but i am sure there is a simpler solution.

G

Can't help with the resetting process, but...

[shameless advertisement] I have a spare injector pump in the garage if it's any use... No longer required for any of my fleet, so that might be a bit more simple... [/shameless advertisement]

Came off of a Discovery, but they are the same and it will be easy to fit as you already have all of the right brackets. Make me a silly offer if it's of any use.

Cheers

Adrian

Did he take the tapered flange off? its unlikely to have moved, I just changed my drive seal and it took my biggest puller and me and Pete battering it with a big hammer to shift it!

Mike

edit sorry just re read the above, I take it he has the pulley loose attached to its flange? If so I think its as Ralph said, a trip to the bosch agent...

Out of interest, if i want to remove the IP from the engine, what precautions should i take to ensure i dont mess up this pulley?

Do i simply undo the ring of bolts around the middle and then unbolt the pump from the timing case, or is there more to it?

Cool thats good to know.

I was removing some bits from an old TDi the other day, and looked at taking the IP off. Put a breaker bar on the big nut then couldnt find anything suitable to lock the engine, was running out of time, so i left it!

I'll use the smaller bolts next time i go over!