Speakers

rambo67

Hello , has anyone upgraded their speakers as mine are carp . It has a Alpine head unit in , so at the mo dont have any bass just tinny sounding music , coupled with shot speakers dont make for a good sound ??

Any recomendations welcome ;)

I have just upgraded the front speakers on my D2 & what a difference it has made I even have bass now :lol::lol: I have fitted JBL 2 way 6" speakers (fitted perfect) & the only thing I had to do was drill 4 pilot holes for the new speakers as the factory ones were held in place by 3 screws. I had a blown tweeter which I removed & fitted a set of Kenwood tweeters off an old set of speakers which has also improved the sound a lot & can't wait till I can get my amp, 12" sub & 6x9" speakers in :D

On the D1 I think the standard speakers are 4"(peeps with D1's will be able to tell you) but you will also have plenty of room down at the bottom of the doors to fit larger speakers if you so wish but it would mean making up speaker pods to house them but the extra sound staging I think would be worth it & can give you a link if you want to know more about building speaker pods ;)

i fitted some kenwood speakers in the standard front door fittings, similar slightly cheaper kenwoods in the rear door pillars, and some 6inch subs in the rear door running off the standard little amp. it sounds pretty good, loud and clear enough to completely drown out the v8 :)

thats all driven by a sony head unit, i cant remember the model but it wasnt exactly expensive, takes a USB pendrive to play MP3s

Cheers fella's , I measured the OE speakers and the look like 10cm ones . Gonna price some 2/3 way jobbies up and look at a small bass box with built in amp . Do they need a ISO cable for a head unit or is it plug and play ??

Cheers again

Cheers fella's , I measured the OE speakers and the look like 10cm ones . Gonna price some 2/3 way jobbies up and look at a small bass box with built in amp . Do they need a ISO cable for a head unit or is it plug and play ??

Cheers again

We don't know what your ICE setup is at the moment, so can't say what patch leads you need. Do you have an existing bass speaker in the back door? does the head unit have a pre-amplifer output? it won't be plug and play as the output from the head unit and/or sub amp gain will have to be adjusted.

I don't know about the D1 but the D2's wiring is ISO so fitting my Sony headunit was so easy but I don't have the steering wheel controls any more but £30 for the cables didn't seem worth it to me :rolleyes:

As for fitting a sub/amp you will either need a headunit with pre outs (phono's/RCA) or you can buy a converter so you can keep the standard fit headunit. You will then have to run the power cable from the battery into the boot for the amp aswell as the amp power up feed cable & at least 1 set of phono cables.

Have a look on this site as you'll find all the info you could ever need ;)

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/

D1 300 has iso, here's how I did mine.

Discovery Aftermarket Stereo & Rear Door Speaker Connection

Got one of these plugs of E Bay (£16) to make the rear subs work!

767490_c6_1_b.JPG

Which was wrong mad.gif

Its this plug with just 1 red & 1 black wire coming out of it.

766498_socket4.jpg

That fits in here.

766500_disco-radio1.jpg

Like this.

766499_radiosocketsandloom.jpg

I had to remove the plug from the e bay lead and connect the wires to the cars loom also connect the RCA plug to one of the stereo preouts.

767483_Photo239.jpg

A bit of insulting tape and voilà job done :good:

Unit replaced

768501_Disco_R960.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this lead from e bay

767490_c6_1_b.JPG

Is for this later type stereo

834838_Later_Disco_stereo.JPG

But don't quote me on it laugh.gif

if anyone has sseen a white discovery 1 commercial with a fox racing logo on the side around gloucestershire then im sure they can vouch for my sound system as i usually have it rather loud.

i got rid of the crappy 4" speakers in the front doors (300tdi have them at the top by handle) and then got out my router and drill opend up the holes to accommodate some 5.25" speakers

did pretty much the same for the 4" speakers in the rear pillars but for some 6x9". used original brackets for the rears just cut them up into 4 an replaced on the 6x9 corners.

as its a commercial im not exactly pushed for space so i have 2x12" 1800watt subs in the back in a bass box - this wont be staying as eventually i hope to build my own bulkhead between the seats up front and the back which will have the subs in

all in all a good sound system which really s:hits on them chavs in their little 'one point nothing' saxos

As a straight forward speaker replacement you will not beat JL Audios 100mm two way speakers. I've tried nearly every 4" speaker on the planet and they've come out tops by a long way.

I bought them from the Sound Gallery in High Wycombe when I was in the UK last year. They are not expensive either..IIRC about 60 quid.