Td5 worth the extra money?

I am just about to purchase my very first Land Rover. I have decided that I want a defender but as I live up in the north of Scotland good solid Defenders are few and far between. I have spotted 2 that are on sale on ebay and have gone to see them both. One is a 1996 300Tdi and the other is a 2000 Td5. They both have a solid chassis and good bulk head and both have around 70000 miles on them. (not much between them condition wise) However the Td5 is around £2000 more. I am looking to turn this truck into a challenge truck (although it will still be my day to day car) therefore this extra £2000 could be spent on something like suspension. My question is this do you think that the Td5 engine is worth spending the extra money?

IMHO if you want a challenge truck and its your first land rover and you want to use it as your everyday car, you might want to take a week off, come to a challenge event and see what they use and if it fits in with your every day requirements.

Then you will see first hand what makes a challenge truck, and an everyday car and what is the most common engine configuration.

Personally (and this is only my opinion mind) when I need to nip to the shops, or put the kids/wife/girlfirend (not at the same time mind rolleyes.gif ) in, I dont want mud and stuff (well not in the winter at leastph34r.gif ) everywhere and making a mess of nice work clothes.

If however your a forestry type and you need the 4x4 to get down to the main road, then thats different.....

Also I was under the impression that late 300 Tdi's seemed to fetch more than early Td5's.

I know which Id rather have (TD5, but then I dont do so much muddy stuff)

No. I would rather have a solid 1996 year Tdi than an early Td5. Judging by what I have seen here in the last couple of years, an old Td5 is not a thing to own unless you like changing engines (got three on our company fleet that have either had or are probably about to need, replacement engines). The 300Tdi on the other hand just wears out in the normal way and isn't that hard or expensive to sort out.

Personally (and this is only my opinion mind) when I need to nip to the shops, or put the kids/wife/girlfirend (not at the same time mind rolleyes.gif ) in, I dont want mud and stuff (well not in the winter at leastph34r.gif ) everywhere and making a mess of nice work clothes.

What do you want to do with it really? Do you want to just have some fun, or do you want to be competative. I know people say that "driver skill" is a major factor in doing well, but the chap who can gently nudge against a tree to get the right angle because he doesn't care about bodywork or can thrape it up a slope because he doesn't need halfshafts, CV's or diffs to work quite as the manufacturer intended come monday morning, has quite an advantage.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Personally I would make it either a challenge truck or a daily driver, but it is up to you in the end.

I myself would rather have the 300Tdi engine, simpler to work on and arguably better for more severe off-roading, but if the truck was only going to be used for road duties and light off-roading (greenlaning sort of levels) a Td5 will do you better as there's more power to be had.

IMHO if you want a challenge truck and its your first land rover and you want to use it as your everyday car, you might want to take a week off, come to a challenge event and see what they use and if it fits in with your every day requirements.

Then you will see first hand what makes a challenge truck, and an everyday car and what is the most common engine configuration.

Personally (and this is only my opinion mind) when I need to nip to the shops, or put the kids/wife/girlfirend (not at the same time mind Posted Image ) in, I dont want mud and stuff (well not in the winter at leastPosted Image ) everywhere and making a mess of nice work clothes.

Hi there, I have been to a few challenge events as a few of my friends have Land Rovers already. Unfortunatly some of them have Td5's and some Tdi's and they could sit all day arguing with each other over what is better and why. To be honest there isnt that many challenge events in the north of Scotland so the truck would probably only be getting used for proper compatition use maybe 10 times out of the year at the most, the rest of the time it would just be used for off roading fun days. I understand the having a road going challenge truck isnt always the best option but it has taken me long enough to save up for my first landy so for just now it is going to have to fit both purposes :unsure:

I have never heard that early Td5's like to go through engines before? At the moment anyway i dont think i will be able to afford a later model so i am swaying toward a Tdi. However i am open to anyone elses opinion as i would like to get as much info as possible before parting with my hard earned cash :huh:

All I know is that out of about six Td5s on our company fleet we have just fitted the second engine in as many years and the third is looking a probability (still parked up awaiting attention at the moment).

Seem to be mostly problems with relatively low mileage ones - they really don't like short runs. One of ours had about 70k on it, another one about 45k and the one awaiting attention is about 60k I think. I am aware of some other Td5s with problems like oval bores at very low mileage.

So take each vehicle on its merits then (of the two you have seen).

The forum will be equally divided (as per your vist to the challenge events) who like 300Tdi and TD5's.

If you take into consideration the overall condition of each vehicle, and dont mind which type of engine you get, then that might be a better comparison. For example if one has a few dents and scrapes and your intending to challenge it, then you wont mind a few more etc

Personally i'd go with the TD5.

People bang on about the TDi's being "simpler" but at the end of the day they're both internal combustion engines. The electronic gubbins on a TD5 can also help you out if there is a problem, because it will often tell you whats wrong with itself.

Its also more powerful, and unless you can spin all four wheels on demand, more power is always a welcome thing :D

I agree on the challenge/road car front. Its one or the other if you NEED it as a daily to get to work etc, you really cant afford to wreck it offroad.

I would personally go with the TD5, they seem to pull better for us when we have another land rover on the ifor and i think they are nicer to drive on the road, but for you it may not be worth the extra £2000, but at the end of the day if the land rovers are 4 years different in age you are paying £500 more for each year of age,