Steering Issue

Lenny

91' Classic.

Steering felt heavy, so changed power steering belt (original belt 10yrs+ old) but only a slight improvement.

Have noticed steering-box has been leaking over some time, noticed fluid residue on chassis area beneath.

Any ideas where else I should be checking or would it be the box overhaul?

thanks.

Very likely to be a typical leaky steering box its self mate i replaced a fare few, but also before you go ripping the steering box of just check the rubber pipe to the reservoir as i once had a dodgy jubilee clip causing the fluid to leak out running down the pipe onto the steering box... so at first glance it looked like the steering box was goosed but all was needed was a new jubilee clip. :) (you may not ba as lucky as 99% of the time its the box but defo worth a check)

hope this is some help :) jai...

cheers guys,

The level looks to be OK, but the hoses are probably perished which doesn't help the detective work. What about the Steering Pump itself - could it be that component failing - any give aways as to its state?

I guess if the steering box is leaking there is some pressure loss occuring.

Its worth checking that there is no resistance in all those steering joints before considering changing the pump - upper & lower swivel pins as well as the various steering arm joints/track rod ends can add to stiffness. To check them you will likely need to disconnect one or more of the track rod ends to isolate them from the steering box

Its worth checking that there is no resistance in all those steering joints before considering changing the pump - upper & lower swivel pins as well as the various steering arm joints/track rod ends can add to stiffness. To check them you will likely need to disconnect one or more of the track rod ends to isolate them from the steering box

and steering damper

Right well jacked the front axle up on a stand and gave the wheel a few turns back and forth...

When turning the steering wheel - resistance starts at nothing to more noticeable then to nothing and to noticeable until max travel in that direction is reached(say left), and then exactly the same when returning wheel back to straight position. Like an alternating cycle of turning difficulty if that makes sense?

This is a strange one - vehicle has been sorn and driven very little in the past 11 months - perhaps 20 miles total from occasional round the block engine treats.

I'm not convinced anything is ceased as i believe we would have heard the horrible sound of grinding but not certain - you mentioned damper may have ceased but i don't have a clue how to determine this.

thanks.