300tdi top hose

rocky

Hi, had to renew the top hose on my disco (leaking at the thermostat housing) should have changed it when I had the head off last year.

Anyway, after removing it i found a deep gouge on the pipe where it had been rubbing against the top pulley. I have made sure that the new pipe is completely home on the flanges but there is only about 3/8" gap between that and the pulley.

I have looked at disco rave cd and it seems that they are all the same. I would have thought that LR in their infinite wisdom would have come up with something a bit less critical!! Hopefully the pulley won't try to saw through this one.

However that's my moan for today out of the way.

Regards, rocky

Hi, had to renew the top hose on my disco (leaking at the thermostat housing) should have changed it when I had the head off last year.

Anyway, after removing it i found a deep gouge on the pipe where it had been rubbing against the top pulley. I have made sure that the new pipe is completely home on the flanges but there is only about 3/8" gap between that and the pulley.

I have looked at disco rave cd and it seems that they are all the same. I would have thought that LR in their infinite wisdom would have come up with something a bit less critical!! Hopefully the pulley won't try to saw through this one.

However that's my moan for today out of the way.

Regards, rocky

I don't think you are alone in this. Had to change my hose some years ago for the same reason.

• 1 month later...

An interesting glitch in Defenders affects all the late (post 99) Tdi engined export models - they ALL need the hoses modifying from new as they all chafe on the pulley bracket, no idea why as the pre 99 ones never had the problem.

What we do is chop about 1/2 inch off the radiator end of the new top hose, and slide it on as far as it will go - this pulls the hose away from the pulley and the bracket. Optionally, what some people do is unbolt the bracket from the water pump and move it around one bolt to move the thin hose away from the pulley as well. Never causes a problem after that.